Old 05-10-2007, 06:30 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Red wasp

The closest thing I've found on the internet is the paper wasp for
resemblance. 2 exceptions. Way to small, and the abdomen is red in color
as well. What is it?
Paper wasp:
http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/cimg348.html

Looks like this, definitely.
http://home.att.net/~larvalbugbio/be...beast3-05.html

Ones I've seen west of Wimberley approach 3" in length. A sting from one of
these is no joke. Pain lasts for hours. No, not allergic.
Dave

Old 05-10-2007, 02:29 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

Dave wrote:
The closest thing I've found on the internet is the paper wasp for
resemblance. 2 exceptions. Way to small, and the abdomen is red in color
as well. What is it?
Paper wasp:
http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/cimg348.html

Looks like this, definitely.
http://home.att.net/~larvalbugbio/be...beast3-05.html

Ones I've seen west of Wimberley approach 3" in length. A sting from one
of
these is no joke. Pain lasts for hours. No, not allergic.
Dave

http://bugguide.net/node/view/581

I am allergic. One of those suckers hit me in 1998, I used 3 epi pens
getting to the ER alive.

As much as I dislike killing wasps, I do those.
They are just too aggressive.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 05-10-2007, 06:45 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

Omelet wrote:

As much as I dislike killing wasps, I do those.
They are just too aggressive.

I'm very much a "live and let live" sort of person. I make an exception
for most bugs that come into the house. I send my husband to do battle
with the red buggers when they try to set up housekeeping in my eaves or
the shed.

I make exceptions for fire ants, mosquitos and weevils too. g

Old 06-10-2007, 04:57 AM posted to austin.gardening

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

Omelet wrote:

As much as I dislike killing wasps, I do those.
They are just too aggressive.

I'm very much a "live and let live" sort of person. I make an exception
for most bugs that come into the house. I send my husband to do battle
with the red buggers when they try to set up housekeeping in my eaves or
the shed.

I make exceptions for fire ants, mosquitos and weevils too. g

I used to kill them indiscriminately until I saw one take out the tomato
horn worms eating up my plants. I only do the ones in human activity
areas now.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:05 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

Omelet wrote:

As much as I dislike killing wasps, I do those.
They are just too aggressive.

I'm very much a "live and let live" sort of person. I make an exception
for most bugs that come into the house. I send my husband to do battle
with the red buggers when they try to set up housekeeping in my eaves or
the shed.

I make exceptions for fire ants, mosquitos and weevils too. g

I used to kill them indiscriminately until I saw one take out the tomato
horn worms eating up my plants. I only do the ones in human activity
areas now.

Good thought.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:06 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Wooly" nobody@nunya wrote in message
Omelet wrote:

As much as I dislike killing wasps, I do those.
They are just too aggressive.

I'm very much a "live and let live" sort of person. I make an exception
for most bugs that come into the house. I send my husband to do battle
with the red buggers when they try to set up housekeeping in my eaves or
the shed.

As noted in my "Ouch" post, I found some in the wellhouse. The nest was on
inside of the door. One came out immediately and stung my right upper ear.
I did swatting battle with 2 of them for a bit. Managed to swat one to the
ground and stomp on it. The other fleed elsewhere. I removed the nest.
Dave

Old 08-10-2007, 08:15 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

Dave wrote:
[...]

I have a bunch of red wasps around my house and my wife and I call them "pet
wasps" because they're so docile. I usually even have a few that follow me
around when I cut the grass - I guess looking for bugs that the mower
stirs-up. One day last spring, there were several in a shrub that I was
trimming. They came flying out as I neared with the trimmers, flew to a near
by lawn chair and perched like birds on the top of the chair until I was
finished and then flew right back to the area I just finished trimming. I've
never been stung by any of these guys...of I guess girls after reading the
TAMU info.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:11 PM posted to austin.gardening

"charliekilo" wrote in message
"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

Dave wrote:
[...]

Agreed, they live and let live. Unless you stumble upon their actively used
nest, which is normally hidden from sight.
Dave