GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mystery scrub/plant 4. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/165679-mystery-scrub-plant-4-a.html)

[email protected] 07-10-2007 02:24 AM

Mystery scrub/plant 4.

Another please pretty please?
Thank you,
Anita
1. http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...eryplant2a.jpg

2. http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...eryplant2b.jpg

Stewart Robert Hinsley 07-10-2007 05:35 PM

Mystery scrub/plant 4.

In message om,
" writes
Another please pretty please?
Thank you,
Anita
1.
http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...iew&current=my
steryplant2a.jpg

That might be a mallow of some description, but I can't see enough
detail to be sure one way or the other.

The calyces appear to be valvate in aestivation, and persistent in
fruit, with the fruit being a schizocarp, and the foliage alternate with
the leaves palmately veined. That matches a mallow.

Unlobed leaves, and leaves with rounded (as opposed to cordate) bases
are relatively rare among mallows, but they do exist. I'm not familiar
enough with the American species to make an identification, but the
plant doesn't look incompatible with an identification as Sida spinosa.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/...ickly_sida.htm
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?...ID=sisp_1h.jpg

2.
http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...iew&current=my
steryplant2b.jpg

That's a different plant.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info

Treedweller[_2_] 07-10-2007 05:54 PM

Mystery scrub/plant 4.

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 18:24:36 -0700, "
wrote:

Another please pretty please?
Thank you,
Anita
1. http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...eryplant2a.jpg

2. http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...eryplant2b.jpg

Two different plants.

"a" might be lantana.

"b" appears to be wisteria.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 08-10-2007 06:35 PM

Mystery scrub/plant 4.

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message om,
" writes
[...]

A professional botanist (and Malvastrum expert) tells me that it's
Malvastrum coromandelianum ssp. coromandelianum.

The easy way to distinguish Sida (and segregates) from Malvastrum is
that Malvastrum has an involucel - an extra whorl of floral parts below
the calyx - of three lanceolate or spatulate bracteoles, and Sida (and
segregates) don't. Also, this Malvastrum has "plicate" leaves, and Sidas
don't.

2.