Old 07-10-2007, 02:26 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Mystery scrub/plant 5.

Another please pretty please?
Thank you,
Anita

1. http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...eryplant1b.jpg

2. http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...eryplant1a.jpg

Old 07-10-2007, 11:02 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article .com,
" wrote:

Another please pretty please?
Thank you,
Anita

1.
http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...rrent=mysteryp
lant1b.jpg

2.
http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...rrent=mysteryp
lant1a.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this one _is_ Japanese Ligustrum.
I have several of them and harvest seedlings as I'm using them to build
a privacy hedge.

They can grow into a 30 ft. tree, or if kept pruned down in hight and
encouraged to "sucker" from the root base, they make a fine, thick hedge
plant.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 07-10-2007, 05:56 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 18:26:02 -0700, "
wrote:

Another please pretty please?
Thank you,
Anita

1. http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...eryplant1b.jpg

2. http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...eryplant1a.jpg

ligustrum.

very invasive. Please pull it up by its roots and don't let it
return.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:20 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

Another please pretty please?
Thank you,
Anita

1.
http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...&current=myste
ryplant1b.jpg

2.
http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...&current=myste
ryplant1a.jpg

ligustrum.

very invasive. Please pull it up by its roots and don't let it
return.

I don't find ligustrum to be invasive at all - I have it planted on one
border of my back yard . Keep it pruned and it stays pretty tidy.

Ditto here. I love my Ligustrum trees and hedges. They do very well with
very little water and that's important to me!

Some people hate them tho' but they don't produce any more weeds here
than the hackberries do, and they are very easy to pull up due to their
shallow root system.

Maybe you're thinking of pyracantha? That crap seems to know no bounds...

--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 10-10-2007, 12:48 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 15:20:10 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

I don't find ligustrum to be invasive at all - I have it planted on one
border of my back yard . Keep it pruned and it stays pretty tidy.

Ditto here. I love my Ligustrum trees and hedges. They do very well with
very little water and that's important to me!

Some people hate them tho' but they don't produce any more weeds here
than the hackberries do, and they are very easy to pull up due to their
shallow root system.

Maybe you're thinking of pyracantha? That crap seems to know no bounds...

from
http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/p...CONSIDERATIONS

"Impacts: In many areas of North America, privet easily escapes
cultivation and can quickly degrade native communities by forming
dense monospecific stands [1]. In a survey of federal wilderness
managers, privet was mentioned among "widely reported problem species"
in Alabama, Arkansas, and Kentucky [32].

Japanese privet escapes into natural areas in southern North America
where it can form "dense, impenetrable thickets" and displace native
species [31]. One example is in natural areas around Austin, Texas,
where Japanese privet has invaded intermittent stream bed and mesic
woodland habitats. Its impacts include outcompeting native woody
species such as wax mallow (Malvaviscus arborea var. drummondii),
Mexican buckeye (Ungnadia speciosa), American beautyberry (Callicarpa
americana), small palmleaf thoroughwort (Conoclinium greggii), pecan
(Carya illinoensis), and Texas ash (Fraxinus texensis). Removal of
Japanese privet from these areas has resulted in regrowth of other
native species, including mescalbean sophora (Sophora secundiflora),
Buckley oak (Quercus buckleyi), live oak (Quercus virginiana),
southwestern bristlegrass (Setaria scheelei), toothleaf goldeneye
(Viguiera dentata), white crownbeard (Verbesina virginica), Rio Grande
palmetto (Sabal mexicana), rougeplant (Rivina humilis), and Drummond's
woodsorrel (Oxalis drummondii) [53]."

also:
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growgreen/invasive.htm
http://www.bullcreek.net/ligustrum.html