GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wet spot (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/165898-wet-spot.html)

John Mayson 17-10-2007 02:36 PM

Wet spot

Early this summer I developed a wet spot in the side of my yard. I
blamed all of the rain and the fact that side of the house doesn't get
much sun. The rain stopped, but the wet spot got worse. Turns out my
sprinkler system was leaking.

I repaired the leak. Does anyone have tips to dry out the area? I
used a Shop-Vac to suck up quite a bit of water and some of mud. Now
I'm left with very damp soil. Am I better off leaving it alone and
letting it dry or planting a thirsty plant to help soak up the water?

Thanks,
John

John Mayson 17-10-2007 04:55 PM

Wet spot

On Oct 17, 10:30 am, Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

Leave it be. A "thirsty plant" now will be a dead one after the next
6-month dry spell.

What if I don't care about the thirsty plant? I can plant elephant
ears and I don't mind if they die (although my existing elephant ears
have survived droughts and cold).

Omelet[_2_] 17-10-2007 06:21 PM

Wet spot

In article .com,
John Mayson wrote:

On Oct 17, 10:30 am, Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

Leave it be. A "thirsty plant" now will be a dead one after the next
6-month dry spell.

What if I don't care about the thirsty plant? I can plant elephant
ears and I don't mind if they die (although my existing elephant ears
have survived droughts and cold).

Bamboo.

eg
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

Omelet[_2_] 17-10-2007 06:22 PM

Wet spot

In article ,
Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

John Mayson wrote:
On Oct 17, 10:30 am, Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

Leave it be. A "thirsty plant" now will be a dead one after the next
6-month dry spell.

What if I don't care about the thirsty plant? I can plant elephant
ears and I don't mind if they die (although my existing elephant ears
have survived droughts and cold).

Why can't you just let it dry up naturally?

Mosquito larvae.

Me? I'd dump a bunch of landscaping sand into it and mix well, then let
it dry.

Make a good garden bed later.

Omelet[_2_] 17-10-2007 07:27 PM

Wet spot

In article ,
Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

John Mayson wrote:
On Oct 17, 10:30 am, Wooly nobody@nunya wrote:

Leave it be. A "thirsty plant" now will be a dead one after the next
6-month dry spell.
What if I don't care about the thirsty plant? I can plant elephant
ears and I don't mind if they die (although my existing elephant ears
have survived droughts and cold).

Why can't you just let it dry up naturally?

Mosquito larvae.

Me? I'd dump a bunch of landscaping sand into it and mix well, then let
it dry.

Make a good garden bed later.

Pffft. It's easy enough to fill, as you've pointed out.

Yep. :-)

Dave 18-10-2007 03:54 PM

Wet spot

"John Mayson" wrote in message
ups.com...
Early this summer I developed a wet spot in the side of my yard. I
blamed all of the rain and the fact that side of the house doesn't get
much sun. The rain stopped, but the wet spot got worse. Turns out my
sprinkler system was leaking.

I repaired the leak. Does anyone have tips to dry out the area? I
used a Shop-Vac to suck up quite a bit of water and some of mud. Now
I'm left with very damp soil. Am I better off leaving it alone and
letting it dry or planting a thirsty plant to help soak up the water?

Thanks,
John

Close the cutoff valve to the sprinkler system for a few weeks.
Dave