Old 24-12-2007, 09:46 PM posted to austin.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Default gardens and nature

gardens and nature

And God said to St. Francis:

GOD: St. Francis, you know all about gardens and nature. What in the
world
is going on down there? What happened to the dandelions, violets,
thistle
and stuff I started eons ago? I had a perfect, no-maintenance garden
plan.
Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and
multiply with
abandon. The nectar from the long lasting blossoms attracts
butterflies,
honeybees and flocks of songbirds. I expected to see a vast garden
of
colours by now. But all I see are these green rectangles.

ST. FRANCIS: It's the tribes that settled there, Lord: The
Suburbanites.
They started calling your flowers "weeds" and went to great lengths
to kill
them and replace them with grass.

GOD: Grass? But it's so boring. It's not colourful. It doesn't
attract
butterflies, birds and bees, only grubs and sod worms. It's
temperamental
with temperatures. Do these Suburbanites really want all that grass
growing
there?

ST. FRANCIS: Apparently so, Lord. They go to great pains to grow it
and keep
it green. They begin each spring by fertilizing grass and poisoning
any
other plant that crops up in the lawn.

GOD: The spring rains and warm weather probably make grass grow
really fast.
That must make the Suburbanites happy.

ST. FRANCIS: Apparently not, Lord. As soon as it grows a little,
they cut
it, sometimes twice a week.

GOD: They cut it? Do they then bale it like hay?

ST. FRANCIS: Not exactly Lord. Most of them rake it up and put it in
bags.

GOD: They bag it? Why? Is it a cash crop? Do they sell it?

ST. FRANCIS: No, sir -- just the opposite. They pay to throw it
away.

GOD: Now, let me get this straight. They fertilize grass so it will
grow.
And when it does grow, they cut it off and pay to throw it away?

ST. FRANCIS: Yes, sir.

GOD: These Suburbanites must be relieved in the summer when we cut
back on
rainfall that surely slows the growth and saves them a lot of work.

ST. FRANCIS: When the grass stops growing so fast, they drag out
hoses and
pay more money to water it so they can continue to mow it and pay to
get rid
of it.

GOD: What nonsense. At least they kept some of the trees. That was a
sheer
stoke of genius, if I do say so myself. The trees grow leaves in the
spring
to provide beauty and shade in the summer. In the autumn they fall
to the
ground and form a natural blanket to keep moisture in the soil and
protect
the trees and bushes. Plus, as they rot, the leaves form compost to
enhance
the soil. It's a natural circle of life.

ST. FRANCIS: You'd better sit down, Lord. The Suburbanites have
drawn a new
circle. As soon as the leaves fall, they rake them into great piles
and pay
to have them hauled away.

GOD: No. What do they do to protect the shrub and tree roots in the
winter
and to keep the soil moist and loose?

ST. FRANCIS: After throwing away the leaves, they go out and buy
something
which they call mulch. They haul it home and spread it around in
place of
the leaves.

GOD: And where do they get this mulch?

ST. FRANCIS: They cut down trees and grind them up to make the
mulch.

GOD: St. Catherine, you're in charge of the arts. What movie have
you
scheduled for us tonight?

ST. CATHERINE: "Dumb and Dumber," Lord. It's a real stupid movie
about ...

GOD: Never mind, I think I just heard the whole story from St.
Francis.

Old 25-12-2007, 01:51 PM posted to austin.gardening

That was great! Than you so much,
Merry Christmas to all and Happy Holidays too!
Anita
Old 25-12-2007, 08:37 PM posted to austin.gardening

I loved this.

Thanks. :-)

In article ,
"Bob" wrote:

gardens and nature

And God said to St. Francis:

snipped

And now here is one for you:

IN THE BEGINNING God created the heavens and the
Earth. And the Earth was without form, and void, and
darkness was upon the face of the deep.
And Satan said, "It doesn't get any better than
this."
And God said, "Let there be light," and there was
light.
And God said,"Let the earth bring forth grass, the
herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit,"
and God saw that it was good.
And Satan said, "There goes the neighborhood."
And God said, "Let us make Man in our image, after
our likeness, and let them have dominion over the fish
of the sea, and over the fowl of the air and over the
.. . cattle, and over all
the Earth, and over every creeping
thing that creepeth upon the Earth."
And so God created Man in his own image; male and
female created he them.
And God looked upon Man and Woman and saw that they
were lean and fit.
And God populated the earth with broccoli and
cauliflower and spinach, green and yellow vegetables of
all kinds, so Man and Woman would live long and healthy
lives.
And Satan said, "I know how I can get back in this
game." And Satan created McDonald's. And McDonald's
brought forth the 99-cent double cheeseburger. And
Satan said to Man, "You want fries with that?"
And Man said, "Supersize them." And Man gained 5
pounds.
And God created the healthful yogurt, that woman
might keep her figure that man found so fair.
And Satan brought forth chocolate. And Woman gained
5 pounds.
And God said, "Try my crispy fresh salad."
And Satan brought forth Ben and Jerry's. And Woman
gained 10 pounds.
And God said, "I have sent thee heart-healthy
vegetables and olive oil with which to cook them."
And Satan brought forth chicken-fried steak so big
it needed its own platter. And Man gained 10 pounds and
his bad cholesterol went through the roof.
And God brought forth running shoes and Man resolved
to lose those extra pounds.
And Satan brought forth cable TV with remote control
so Man would not have to toil to change channels between
ESPN and ESPN2. And Man gained another 20 pounds.
And Satan brought forth the internet and computers
with cable modems, and woman gained another 20 pounds.
And God said, "You're running up the score, Devil."
And God brought forth the potato, a vegetable naturally
low in fat and brimming with nutrition.
And Satan peeled off the healthful skin and sliced
the starchy center into chips and deep-fat fried them.
And he created sour cream dip also.
And Man clutched his remote control and ate the
potato chips swaddled in cholesterol.
And Satan saw and said, "It is good." And Man went
into cardiac arrest.
And God sighed and created quadruple bypass surgery.
And Satan created HMO's.
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

gardens and nature Bob Lawns 0 24-12-2007 09:45 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] "The Spirit of Bonsai design: Combine the Power of Zen and nature" Marty Haber Bonsai 0 18-12-2003 01:27 AM
Nature and Science isa sci.agriculture 0 28-08-2003 03:02 PM