Old 03-02-2008, 09:09 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default geckos in the home?

Perhaps a as a result of the rather cold winter, we seem to have a
large and increasing number of geckos living in our home siding, which
is fluted, and so has crawl spaces inside. At any given time, I can
see half a dozen little heads poking out in various places on one side
of the house.

Now, the question is whether this is a good thing. I Iike geckos, and
I know they are insectivores. I'm assuming they aren't doing any
permanent damage there, and ideally are helping to control the
roaches. But http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/g...zard_gecko.htm
suggests that geckos in the home isn't a good thing, as it is in the
garden, though it looks like they're talking about ones running
underfoot and peeing on the carpet (which isn't happening at my
place). Is my assumption justified? I would be a pain in the rear to
have to seal up all these entryways, though I could do that with caulk
or foam.

Doug

Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Doug Lassiter" wrote in message
Perhaps a as a result of the rather cold winter, we seem to have a
large and increasing number of geckos living in our home siding, which
is fluted, and so has crawl spaces inside. At any given time, I can
see half a dozen little heads poking out in various places on one side
of the house.

Consider yourself lucky.

Now, the question is whether this is a good thing. I Iike geckos, and
I know they are insectivores. I'm assuming they aren't doing any
permanent damage there, and ideally are helping to control the
roaches.

And silverfish, wood eating ants, etc. Very beneficial.

But
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/g...zard_gecko.htm
suggests that geckos in the home isn't a good thing, as it is in the
garden,

I think the one comment that geckos are considered "undesirable-even
frightening-by many people" is ill-considered by the author. That stuck out
for you, rather than "are not harmful", and "beneficial" Given that they eat
harmful insects, who also cause damage and contaminate the carpet, walls and
curtains with their droppings (as well as the toxic pesticides then needed
to control them in lieu of the geckos)...... well, let the geckoes live!

though it looks like they're talking about ones running
underfoot and peeing on the carpet (which isn't happening at my
place). Is my assumption justified? I would be a pain in the rear to
have to seal up all these entryways, though I could do that with caulk
or foam.

Yes, don't go to the expense of eliminating a non-problem, in fact a very
beneficial natural addition to your home.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:42 PM posted to austin.gardening

Geckos are great,
they hunt and kill off the bugs you don't want in your house, spiders, pill
bugs, roaches, ants, mosquitoes much more.......
They are indicators of the health of your house too, If you have Geckos you
have a healthy house.
If not, the other bugs have it.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:57 PM posted to austin.gardening

OK, I'll roll out the welcome mat!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:44 AM posted to austin.gardening

Doug Lassiter wrote:
OK, I'll roll out the welcome mat!

The only things I can say negatively about geckos is that they crap on
the surfaces they live on. The outside of the house doesn't seem to show
usually but once they get into a storage building or your garage they
drop several notches down on my amigos list.

We used to have a wood sided fiberglass hot tub that had about every
horizontal interior surface liberally covered with gecko droppings.
Pipes, wood, motors, heaters, etc. all were receptacles of the gecko
poop lozenges.

In your case I would consider sealing some percentage of the prime gecko
real estate in order to prevent the crap attack. Maybe the areas around
windows and doors so the poop is out of casual observation.

jOhN

Old 07-02-2008, 02:21 AM posted to austin.gardening

I know you are serious, but that was funny way to put it,
Anita

Old 11-05-2008, 12:20 AM posted to austin.gardening

Problem? What problem? Seems like you are applying the following
principle to your observation:

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Actually, it's the better known principle -- if you think it might be
broke, better be damned sure before you massively screw things up by
trying to fix it. Words to live by.

My geckos are happy, and so am I.