Old 06-03-2008, 09:52 AM posted to austin.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Default ? trimming Crepe myrtles

Should Crepe Myrtles be trimmed?
If so, is it too late?
How much to trim?
Thanks, Bob-tx

Old 06-03-2008, 01:07 PM posted to austin.gardening

Bob wrote:
Should Crepe Myrtles be trimmed?

Moderate trimming gives Crepe Myrtles beautiful form.

If so, is it too late?

I don't think so, but hurry before they start leafing out.

How much to trim?

Trim only to enhance the trunk structure. Cut off small branches growing
inwards and those crossing each other. You can cut a bit off the tips to
stimulate new growth.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 07-03-2008, 02:48 PM posted to austin.gardening

Like the previous response said, it should be used to enhance the tree
or bush depending on what you have.
I will send you an article directly all about trimming or not crepe
myrtles.

Anita

Old 08-03-2008, 09:52 AM posted to austin.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

wrote in message
Like the previous response said, it should be used to enhance the
tree
or bush depending on what you have.
I will send you an article directly all about trimming or not
crepe
myrtles.

Anita

Thanks Anita, will look forward to reading the article.
Bob-tx

Old 08-03-2008, 09:43 PM posted to austin.gardening

Bob wrote:
Should Crepe Myrtles be trimmed?
If so, is it too late?
How much to trim?
Thanks, Bob-tx

Before I knew what a crepe myrtle really was I had coveted all those
super mid-summer colorful shrubs and trees in the Austin area - what I
didn't know was that I had one, too, but had trimmed it too late in the
spring and cut off all the new growth and the flowers that go with it :-P

One day I was looking at my 15 foot tall "shrub" and notices a single
cluster of pink flowers way up on top. When the realization hit me that
I had been stupidly preventing it from flowering for at least 4 years I
swore by the Green Giant I would start learning before doing in my
garden. I now have a decent collection of books that mostly focus on the
central Texas gardening scene (as well as hanging out here).

It's amazing how much time and money I did not waste once I began doing
the gardening research prior to buying. If only I had done that with my
cooking skills back when I was a bachelor - $1000's wasted ;-)

jOhN

Pruning Crepe Myrtles Cindy Gardening 10 03-09-2004 11:54 PM
Japanese Crepe Myrtles RoyDMercer Texas 0 27-06-2004 07:17 PM
Japanese Crepe Myrtles RoyDMercer Lawns 0 27-06-2004 07:17 PM
crepe myrtles heppiechik Gardening 8 19-09-2003 02:02 AM
mini crepe myrtles David J. Bockman Gardening 4 12-05-2003 02:32 AM