GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   squirrels digging.... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/172695-squirrels-digging.html)

[email protected] 06-04-2008 08:45 PM

squirrels digging....

...in all of my outside flowerpots. In the process they break off new
shoots and throw dirt all over the patio. I've read where there is not
any repellent that will work. So any ideas? How about buying some wire
- chickenwire? - and laying it on top of the dirt with cut-outs for the
branches of plants. Will that work, or will they just shove it away and
dig? I already tried spreading mothballs around, and then _I_ couldn't
stand to be around the plants on the patio. I have emphysema and strong
scents bother my breathing.

Linda in San Antonio

P.S. I live in a trailer court and even if I captured the one or two
squirrels bothering my plants there are plenty more that probably would
come.

Omelet[_4_] 13-04-2008 07:40 AM

squirrels digging....

In article ,
wrote:

..in all of my outside flowerpots. In the process they break off new
shoots and throw dirt all over the patio. I've read where there is not
any repellent that will work. So any ideas? How about buying some wire
- chickenwire? - and laying it on top of the dirt with cut-outs for the
branches of plants. Will that work, or will they just shove it away and
dig? I already tried spreading mothballs around, and then _I_ couldn't
stand to be around the plants on the patio. I have emphysema and strong
scents bother my breathing.

Linda in San Antonio

P.S. I live in a trailer court and even if I captured the one or two
squirrels bothering my plants there are plenty more that probably would
come.

1. Squirrel is delicious. Skin them wetted down first to keep the fur
from shedding on the meat.

2. The Two inch spaced chicken wire eliminated this problem for me when
growing tulip bulbs.

Good luck!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson

[email protected] 15-04-2008 03:14 AM

squirrels digging....

Thanks.

Hmmm, Daniel Boone I'm not ;-)

Linda

Omelet[_4_] 15-04-2008 02:27 PM

squirrels digging....

In article ,
wrote:

Thanks.

Hmmm, Daniel Boone I'm not ;-)

Linda

grins

The 2" chicken wire worked to keep them out of my tulip bulbs...