Old 08-06-2008, 02:02 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default It is strange not to see tomatoes in the stores

Texas-grown tomatoes not tainted
Friday, June 06, 2008 | 7:14 PM
AUSTIN, TX -- Tomatoes linked to a Salmonella outbreak in Texas and New
Mexico were not grown in Texas, state and federal officials said Friday.

Texas state agriculture officials said Texas was one of 12 states or
countries eliminated by the federal Food and Drug Administration as a
possible source of the tainted tomatoes.

The illness so far has caused more than 50 people in Texas and New Mexico to
become ill since the outbreak started in April.

As they work to determine the source, health officials are advising that
people not eat any raw Roma or full-sized round tomatoes other than those
sold attached to the vine or grown at home.

--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

Old 08-06-2008, 07:32 PM posted to austin.gardening

Moe Jones wrote:
Texas-grown tomatoes not tainted
Friday, June 06, 2008 | 7:14 PM
AUSTIN, TX -- Tomatoes linked to a Salmonella outbreak in Texas and New
Mexico were not grown in Texas, state and federal officials said Friday.

Texas state agriculture officials said Texas was one of 12 states or
countries eliminated by the federal Food and Drug Administration as a
possible source of the tainted tomatoes.

The illness so far has caused more than 50 people in Texas and New Mexico to
become ill since the outbreak started in April.

As they work to determine the source, health officials are advising that
people not eat any raw Roma or full-sized round tomatoes other than those
sold attached to the vine or grown at home.

Went to a pool party last night and they had a big pile of tasty sliced
tomatoes for the burgers - bought at the Sunset Valley Farmers Market

We've been picking some Sweet 100's out of our garden for a couple of
weeks but today just picked our first slicing tomato.

True confession: the tomato had gone orange-yellow a few days ago and I
had to continually keep the missus from picking it too early - she has
the "just can't wait" chromosome. This morning while pondering why it
wasn't turning the rest of the way red I realized that I had planted two
varieties of YELLOW tomatoes in addition to a couple of reds!!

the crowd goes, "DOH!"

jOhN