Old 19-06-2008, 01:53 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Fire ants?

For the record, I am not complaining! Where have all of the fire ants gone?
I haven't seem many over the past couple of years and none this year. I
used to have several mounds in my yard at any given time and now not a
single mound or fire ant to be seen.

Old 19-06-2008, 07:03 AM posted to austin.gardening

charliekilo wrote:
For the record, I am not complaining! Where have all of the fire ants gone?
I haven't seem many over the past couple of years and none this year. I
used to have several mounds in my yard at any given time and now not a
single mound or fire ant to be seen.

Arby's is having a roast beef sale...........
Old 19-06-2008, 07:52 AM posted to austin.gardening

"charliekilo" wrote in message
For the record, I am not complaining! Where have all of the fire ants
gone? I haven't seem many over the past couple of years and none this
year. I used to have several mounds in my yard at any given time and now
not a single mound or fire ant to be seen.

Here, the mounds are gone, but fire ants are still there. A different
sub-species is present at the side of the front steps on my porch. They are
a more burgundy color. Other normal colored fire ants are all over the
place, minus mounds out at my place. Got feedback on lack of mounds, its
lack of water. They build mounds when it rains or similar to that.
--
Dave

Old 19-06-2008, 06:47 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"charliekilo" wrote:

For the record, I am not complaining! Where have all of the fire ants gone?
I haven't seem many over the past couple of years and none this year. I
used to have several mounds in my yard at any given time and now not a
single mound or fire ant to be seen.

Drought. They propagate a lot when it rains.

I've not many either. Now is the time to kill what you DO have while we
have the chance. eg
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 19-06-2008, 09:30 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
m...
"charliekilo" wrote in message
For the record, I am not complaining! Where have all of the fire ants
gone? I haven't seem many over the past couple of years and none this
year. I used to have several mounds in my yard at any given time and now
not a single mound or fire ant to be seen.

Here, the mounds are gone, but fire ants are still there. A different
sub-species is present at the side of the front steps on my porch. They
are a more burgundy color. Other normal colored fire ants are all over
the place, minus mounds out at my place. Got feedback on lack of mounds,
its lack of water. They build mounds when it rains or similar to that.
--
Dave

I didn't have any mounds in my area last year when we had lots of rain...I
just have a bunch of tiny ants everywhere this year.

Old 20-06-2008, 06:49 AM posted to austin.gardening

[...]

You seemed confident in the original post that all were fire ants. Now,
they're "tiny ants". Interesting.
--
Dave

Old 20-06-2008, 04:18 PM posted to austin.gardening

[...]

Maybe I miscommunicated but I can tell what is a fire ant, both the domestic
and imported South American fire ant, with a high degree of
confidence....especially when they sting me while working in the yard! Both
those varieties are generally about 1/8" long and reddish brown to black in
color. What I have now, are black in color and only about 1/16" or smaller
in size...like what we called "sugar ants" when I was growing up on the east
coast. These small ants I have now seem to like plants as I see them mostly
on my native xeriscape-type plants -- but they don't seem to be doing any
damage.