Old 13-07-2008, 04:22 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Fall garden

I was planning on keeping my spring tomatoes into the fall but my
father-in-law severely damaged them..........by drowning.

We went on vacation and the in-laws came down to house and dog sit.
Somehow the garden watering instructions got confused and instead of
watering once every other day for 90 minutes (soaker hose) the garden
received continuous water except for once every other day for 90 minutes.

Since I have several inches of mulch in the garden it was not visually
glaring that everything was underwater for 5 days. When we returned the
tomatoes were yellowing and losing leaves, the dill and parsley just
croaked, but the peppers, okra, and eggplant came through unscathed.

I'm now looking for decent sized starter plants of both yellow and red
tomato varieties. At $4/gal gas I am looking for eyewitness accounts of
said plants before hitting the highway.

jOhN

ps: can't wait for my next water bill
Old 13-07-2008, 04:55 PM posted to austin.gardening

jOhN wrote:
I'm now looking for decent sized starter plants of both yellow and red
tomato varieties. At $4/gal gas I am looking for eyewitness accounts of
said plants before hitting the highway.

512-288-6113

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 14-07-2008, 04:27 AM posted to austin.gardening

Victor Martinez wrote:
jOhN wrote:
I'm now looking for decent sized starter plants of both yellow and red
tomato varieties. At $4/gal gas I am looking for eyewitness accounts
of said plants before hitting the highway.

512-288-6113

I meant eyewitness accounts from gardeners not garden center salespeople.
Old 14-07-2008, 12:44 PM posted to austin.gardening

jOhN wrote:
I meant eyewitness accounts from gardeners not garden center salespeople.

You think the good folks at the Natural Gardener would lie to you?

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 14-07-2008, 03:36 PM posted to austin.gardening
dt dt is offline

jOhN wrote:

[...]

John, those tomato plants might surprise you; they can come back from
some pretty bad conditions. Or you might want to try cutting and
rooting a few of the better-looking branches. Or not. ;-)

DT

Old 14-07-2008, 09:03 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:22:11 -0500, jOhN
wrote:

[...]

I purchased some bush celebrities from the Shoal Creek Nursery on
Saturday. At the time, they had regular celebrities, Juliet, and a
couple of others that I don;t recall. They had a total of about 6-8
flats, so they will not last forever.

-BS
Old 15-07-2008, 05:55 AM posted to austin.gardening

Victor Martinez wrote:
jOhN wrote:
I meant eyewitness accounts from gardeners not garden center salespeople.

You think the good folks at the Natural Gardener would lie to you?

Never, but it is an election year.................

and they said they wouldn't have any until August, which is kinda late