Old 15-07-2008, 04:28 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food,austin.gardening

Default Ameritech Kills ABF

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"John O" wrote in message
Crap....went to look at pix of food this morning, and the group is gone.
Everything that says 'binaries' is gone.

*******s.

Well, maybe I need to get back to work anyway. ;-)

-John O

Seems as though the ATT companies have ditched the alt.binaries groups.
Verizon dumped all of the alt groups.

ATT

Asses
Trollops
Troglodytes

yep, food, gardening, and pond binaries are G-O-N-E but there are
several S & M groups left.

I don't usually curse on Usenet but
_*%_*$_@_&TY(*&GDB)(SD_%#_)*@#$#_@($&_#@*

Lawyers are dicks!

jOhN
Old 15-07-2008, 03:06 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food,austin.gardening

On Jul 14, 8:28*pm, jOhN wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"John O" wrote in message
.. .
Crap....went to look at pix of food this morning, and the group is gone.
Everything that says 'binaries' is gone.

*******s.

Well, maybe I need to get back to work anyway. ;-)

-John O

Seems as though the ATT companies have ditched the alt.binaries groups.
Verizon dumped all of the alt groups.

ATT

Asses
Trollops
Troglodytes

yep, food, gardening, and pond binaries are G-O-N-E but there are
several S & M groups left.

I don't usually curse on Usenet but
_*%_*$_@_&TY(*&GDB)(SD_%#_)*@#$#_@($&_#@*

Lawyers are dicks!

Really don't think it was the laywers, the suits are just hiding
behind that to save money, (and potential hassle), it's a win win for
them, they're ****ing off only a small minority of their users.

Coming up next: Metered usage.

They're already testing it.

Old 15-07-2008, 08:12 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food,austin.gardening

It cost ATT a bundle to debate this issue and finally take action to filter
out the alt groups, including many that many of us considered a value add to
the ATT IP service bundle. Pressure did not come from those that enjoyed the
hundreds of free communications from friends around the world, it came from
a a well organized group of narrow minded biggots and fear mongers. Some of
these are on the ATT board and some are within company management.

Hopefully, with a massive change in the Washington policy makers, a new
vision of freedom will spring from these recessionary times of repression.
At least we have had a taste of freedom.

V-

"Tutall" wrote in message
On Jul 14, 8:28 pm, jOhN wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
.. .

Old 16-07-2008, 04:09 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food,austin.gardening

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 21:03:59 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

Roadrunner, OTOH, was a big money-saver for them. They shut off all
of Usenet and don't have to pay to outsource it.

When Roadrunner dropped Usenet, I went looking for an alternative. On
a different group, several people recommended Astraweb and Terranews
as Usenet providers. After not much research, I went with Astraweb.
They have a pay as you go alternative and I figured that for 10 bucks,
I could probably download text files for a century or so. If you do
look at a lot of binary files, another choice might be better.

Hope this helps.

Elliot Richmond
Itinerant astronomy teacher
Old 16-07-2008, 06:10 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food,austin.gardening

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:12:19 -0500, VideoVic46 wrote:

It cost ATT a bundle to debate this issue and finally take action to filter
out the alt groups, including many that many of us considered a value add to
the ATT IP service bundle. Pressure did not come from those that enjoyed the
hundreds of free communications from friends around the world, it came from
a a well organized group of narrow minded biggots and fear mongers. Some of
these are on the ATT board and some are within company management.

Hopefully, with a massive change in the Washington policy makers, a new
vision of freedom will spring from these recessionary times of repression.

Don't hold your breath.

At least we have had a taste of freedom.

FWIW, Time Warner dropped its Usenet access as well. I'm currently
subscribed to individual.net for 15 euros per year.

Old 16-07-2008, 06:55 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food,austin.gardening

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
Tutall wrote:

Really don't think it was the laywers, the suits are just hiding
behind that to save money, (and potential hassle), it's a win win for
them, they're ****ing off only a small minority of their users.

In AT&T's case, it's wasn't a money-saving issue. They have exactly
one person (Tom I.) maintaining the whole news server farm for the
whole country. He's still employed and doing what he's always done.
His job just got easier, but he doesn't get paid any less.

Roadrunner, OTOH, was a big money-saver for them. They shut off all
of Usenet and don't have to pay to outsource it.

In a way, I can see how hosting kiddie porn on your company servers
might be frowned upon. But that's no reason to shut off all of
alt.binaries.*. It's the suits that just don't get it.

I get my usenet via att's uverse (news.houston.sbcglobal.net) and it still
has the alt.binaries.food -- not too many others (there are a few that
misspelled "binaries" that are stll there)

Old 16-07-2008, 12:49 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food,austin.gardening

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
suzilem wrote:

I get my usenet via att's uverse (news.houston.sbcglobal.net) and it

still
has the alt.binaries.food -- not too many others (there are a few that
misspelled "binaries" that are stll there)

I use news.dallas and it's definitely gone. Houston *has* to be
gone as well. You sure you're just not seeing a phantom group?

Messages were there last night at around 6:45pm. This morning, all there is
is the name of the group, with no messages when I opened the folder.
Phooey. I was hoping that it might have missed the executioner's ax because
almost all the binaries were totally gone, but there were a few survivors,
including "food".

Old 16-07-2008, 06:56 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food,austin.gardening

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

I don't usually curse on Usenet but

Lawyers are dicks!

Then don't vote for Obama.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein