Old 13-09-2008, 10:10 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default cedar elm leaf drop?

I have a 30' tall cedar elm that, within the last week or so, has
dropped a substantial number of leaves, seed pods, and the short
lengths of stem they are attached to. These leaves are green, though
by the time I see them on the ground under the tree, they are kind of
drying out. The area under the tree is pretty much covered with these.
I don't recall this in previous years.

My first thought is water stress, as this has been a hot summer, with
very little rain. The tree sticks up out of a hole in a concrete patio
that was poured around it a few decades ago, and is near the slab of
the house, so there is essentially no irrigation that it gets within
it's drip line. It's about ten or fifteen feet above the water table.
But cedar elms are supposed to be really draught tolerant. I have a
couple of other cedar elms, not under concrete, and they don't seem to
be doing this.

What's going on? Is anyone else seeing this?
Old 18-09-2008, 03:49 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Sep 13, 4:10 pm, Doug Lassiter wrote:
[...]

Dr. Dendro seys it is likely a response to the drought. This kind of
tree is drought-tolerant, but doesn't hesitate to lose leaves early if
it's very thirsty.

Works for me.
Old 23-09-2008, 05:22 PM posted to austin.gardening

give it a water drip anyway, cheap insurance
this is a bad drought, cant be god for tree to lose leaves now
If too near slab foundation damage

"Doug Lassiter" wrote in message
[...]

Drop one drop per day for one phalaenopsis? Markjump Orchids 0 07-01-2013 08:47 PM
Leaf drop jOhN Texas 4 26-09-2004 08:27 AM
Rose "leaf drop"? Jim White United Kingdom 2 29-06-2004 03:17 PM
Ash tree leaf drop rile Gardening 4 17-05-2004 06:02 AM
Solanum Jasminoides - leaf drop. Zo United Kingdom 5 06-07-2003 10:51 AM