Old 13-10-2008, 06:19 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default soil

I have a small plot for my garden. Perhaps about 12' x 12'. I would really
like to enrich the soil. Something that would hold moisture and give good
stability to my plants. What would be a good combination of soils to
enrich. I have just regular top soil in it now.

Old 13-10-2008, 10:08 PM posted to austin.gardening

"m. anne" wrote in message
I have a small plot for my garden. Perhaps about 12' x 12'. I would really
like to enrich the soil. Something that would hold moisture and give good
stability to my plants. What would be a good combination of soils to
enrich. I have just regular top soil in it now.

Any response inappropriate except to advertise unsolicited information as
you did not expound on what your regular soil consists of....
--
Dave

If it looks like fish, smells like fish, its not
a cantaloupe.

Old 14-10-2008, 03:21 AM posted to austin.gardening

"m. anne" wrote in message
I have a small plot for my garden. Perhaps about 12' x 12'. I would

really
like to enrich the soil. Something that would hold moisture and give good
stability to my plants. What would be a good combination of soils to
enrich. I have just regular top soil in it now.

For free, you can never go wrong with piling up leaves and keeping them
damp. Stop by a Starbucks and ask for coffee grounds. They'll likely give
you a garbage bag full. Keep piling it on as you get it.
A few weeks before you plant in the Spring, you can get some 50 lb. bags
of alfalfa meal and/or dried molasses for cheap and work that in. Buck Moore
Feed & Supply, 5237 N Lamar is where I've bought in the past.

If money's not a problem, stop by The Natural Gardener and buy what they
recommend.
http://www.naturalgardeneraustin.com/

Old 14-10-2008, 04:49 AM posted to austin.gardening

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"m. anne" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you. I heard that alfalfa hay had alot of nutrients in it. I didn't
know they made alfalfa meal. I don't live around Austin. Hopefully here in
our county someone should carry this stuff. I already have a bunch of
leaves, (thanks to Ike) going in a compost area. Thanks for the info.

Old 15-10-2008, 04:29 AM posted to austin.gardening

"m. anne" wrote in message

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"m. anne" wrote in message
[...]

One of the best uses for alfalfa meal is as the green component in
compost, when you have a lot of leaves and no grass. I take about a gallon
of meal and put it in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Let it soak and then pour
it in the middle of the pile and cover. It really heats up the compost pile.