GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Meyer Lemons and Mexican Limes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/180254-meyer-lemons-mexican-limes.html)

charliekilo 10-12-2008 04:23 PM

Meyer Lemons and Mexican Limes

My new crop of lemons and limes are unbelievably good. The Meyer lemons are
as big as big as oranges and very tender and juicy but my Mexican limes seem
to have identity issues. Yes, they're very tasty and juicy but when they
ripen, they turn a bright yellow like a lemon. When you cut them open,
they're green like they're supposed to be. Anyone know why this might be?

Victor Martinez[_2_] 10-12-2008 05:21 PM

On Dec 10, 10:23*am, "charliekilo" wrote:
My new crop of lemons and limes are unbelievably good. The Meyer lemons are
as big as big as oranges and very tender and juicy but my Mexican limes seem
to have identity issues. Yes, they're very tasty and juicy but when they
ripen, they turn a bright yellow like a lemon. When you cut them open,
they're green like they're supposed to be. Anyone know why this might be?

That's what they are supposed to do. Both regular limes and key limes
will ripen to a nice yellow color.

Victor

charliekilo 10-12-2008 08:48 PM

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
On Dec 10, 10:23 am, "charliekilo" wrote:
My new crop of lemons and limes are unbelievably good. The Meyer lemons
are
as big as big as oranges and very tender and juicy but my Mexican limes
seem
to have identity issues. Yes, they're very tasty and juicy but when they
ripen, they turn a bright yellow like a lemon. When you cut them open,
they're green like they're supposed to be. Anyone know why this might be?

-- That's what they are supposed to do. Both regular limes and key limes
-- will ripen to a nice yellow color.

Huh?! I never knew that...thanks.

Victor

Victor Martinez 11-12-2008 03:53 AM

Paul wrote:
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/tree...rom-a-tree.htm

I completely disagree with the statement of that website regarding
bitterness in fully ripe limes. Nothing could be farther from the truth,
they actually turn a bit sweeter.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Paul 11-12-2008 05:43 AM

Victor Martinez wrote:
Paul wrote:
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/tree...rom-a-tree.htm

I completely disagree with the statement of that website regarding
bitterness in fully ripe limes. Nothing could be farther from the truth,
they actually turn a bit sweeter.

I thought that was kind of odd, too.
Every fruit that i know of gets sweeter as it ripens... apples, oranges, strawberries,
grapes, etc.
Up to a certain point, then they rot.