Old 02-02-2009, 01:44 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default soaker hoses v/s drip irrigation,

I am researching these two methods to see which best suits my needs.
In reading about both systems, one concern I have is cost and how
often the systems have to be replaced?
My budget is not large and I want to make the best choice.
I don't mind paying for more if it will be higher quality and last
longer.

Thank you,
Anita
Old 03-02-2009, 12:11 PM posted to austin.gardening

I am starting with the very basics.

1. System will be to water my vegetable garden.

2. System will be to water my hostas .

I am thinking of going with soaker hoses on the veggie garden and drip
system on the hostas at this point.

Thank you,
Anita
Old 08-02-2009, 11:53 AM posted to austin.gardening

I was talking to someone @ The Natural Gardener nursery about the
differences and she said that as far as durability of the soaker hoses
it depended whether they were exposed to the sun or not. Hers have
lasted 7 yrs so far.

The good thing I can see about soaker hoses is that they can be moved
more easily than a drip system.

Also, someone else I typed to said that hey use their soaker hoses for
the veggie garden only and during the off season just roll them up
till the next need. Making them last longer.

Someone else suggested pvc , but I really think that is much more
permanent (may too permanent for what I need)

Oh well , I will think, think, think, think..... -------------------
Winnie the Pooh expression

have a great day,
Anita

Old 15-02-2009, 08:13 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote in message

I was talking to someone @ The Natural Gardener nursery about the
differences and she said that as far as durability of the soaker hoses
it depended whether they were exposed to the sun or not. Hers have
lasted 7 yrs so far.

The good thing I can see about soaker hoses is that they can be moved
more easily than a drip system.

Also, someone else I typed to said that hey use their soaker hoses for
the veggie garden only and during the off season just roll them up
till the next need. Making them last longer.

Someone else suggested pvc , but I really think that is much more
permanent (may too permanent for what I need)

Oh well , I will think, think, think, think..... -------------------
Winnie the Pooh expression

have a great day,
Anita

Contrar.
PVC wasn't meant for constant sun exposure.
Vertical "vent" pipes for drain system you may see on a house roof are
required by IRC to be painted for that reason. If all of it is buried, not
a problem.
Supply side PVC is rated per wall thickness as well, 40 or 80 for example.
Depending on the location of burial, what runs over it, a "heavier" PVC may
be required. U-PVC is available, but all the fittings normally needed in
supply-side plumbing are not always available.
--
Dave

CDOs are how we got here.
A modified version, new taxes in the future, is how Congress will get us
out?

Old 16-02-2009, 11:16 AM posted to austin.gardening

Thank you for the Info about the PVC ...all information is very
appreciate as I am so new at this.
Have a super Monday,
Anita

PVC wasn't meant for constant sun exposure.

Do soaker hoses stop soaking after a while? Don Wiss Gardening 1 20-04-2010 04:40 PM
soaker hoses and other irrigation methods Stan The Man United Kingdom 11 23-07-2005 11:39 PM
soaker hoses tonyg Bamboo 2 22-07-2004 07:20 PM
Soaker Hoses Charles Gardening 8 31-07-2003 06:02 AM
Different Drip Rates in Soaker Hoses? Fleemo Gardening 3 28-03-2003 10:56 PM