GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bunch of Buntings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/182888-bunch-buntings.html)

jOhN 22-04-2009 05:06 AM

Bunch of Buntings

We have had 4 Indigo and 2 Painted buntings hanging out by our feeder
for a couple of days. Woohoo!

jOhN

cat daddy 22-04-2009 05:43 AM

Bunch of Buntings

"jOhN" wrote in message
We have had 4 Indigo and 2 Painted buntings hanging out by our feeder for
a couple of days. Woohoo!

I have a litter of raccoon babies under my bathtub...... Ah, the
delightful, chattering sounds of Spring.....

[email protected] 22-04-2009 12:42 PM

Bunch of Buntings

I assume they are birds?

I have seen cardinals this year. Last winter we had a great big Grey
Owl . He was so majestic.

Its wonderful to see wildlife and nature. Including the many
butterflies that seem to come along. One of the many reasons I spend
ours in my garden when I can.

Have a super day!

Anita

cat daddy 22-04-2009 02:14 PM

Bunch of Buntings

wrote in message
I assume they are birds?

I have seen cardinals this year. Last winter we had a great big Grey
Owl . He was so majestic.

Its wonderful to see wildlife and nature. Including the many
butterflies that seem to come along. One of the many reasons I spend
ours in my garden when I can.

I've had a few more bees on my oxalis than the last couple of years. They
used to swarm thickly, and then I'd see no more than three at a time after
the news of CCD. I counted over a dozen the other day. Not great, but
something. I've been really encouraging the coralvine, which they like
throughout the Summer.

charliekilo 22-04-2009 08:39 PM

Bunch of Buntings

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"jOhN" wrote in message
We have had 4 Indigo and 2 Painted buntings hanging out by our feeder for
a couple of days. Woohoo!

I have a litter of raccoon babies under my bathtub...... Ah, the
delightful, chattering sounds of Spring.....

For the past three years (but not this year that God!!!) we have had raccoon
babies in our attic and between floors. They make a hellava racket as they
mature and are getting ready to leave the nest, playing, exploring, etc.
Last year I saw one of the babies leaving (crawling off our roof onto the
patio)....I had been so mad at them until I saw it.....cute, cute cute!

I think I finally got all of the potential entry spots closed-up this
winter.

cat daddy 22-04-2009 09:38 PM

Bunch of Buntings

"charliekilo" wrote in message
"cat daddy" wrote in message

"jOhN" wrote in message
We have had 4 Indigo and 2 Painted buntings hanging out by our feeder
for a couple of days. Woohoo!

I have a litter of raccoon babies under my bathtub...... Ah, the
delightful, chattering sounds of Spring.....

For the past three years (but not this year that God!!!) we have had
raccoon babies in our attic and between floors. They make a hellava racket
as they mature and are getting ready to leave the nest, playing,
exploring, etc. Last year I saw one of the babies leaving (crawling off
our roof onto the patio)....I had been so mad at them until I saw
it.....cute, cute cute!

I think I finally got all of the potential entry spots closed-up this
winter.

I didn't complete the access door after having the foundation re-done.
They do make a racket, especially at the 1AM feeding. They're probably not
two weeks old, so I have the exploring and playing to look forward to......
I had a very tame mama raccoon bring her babies around when I first moved
in years ago. She'd put them in a tree while she ate, and eventually let
them come in the cat door by themselves. Extremely cute......I had about a
dozen stray cats at the time, and they'd sit around the bowl and watch the
babies eat. A very Disney moment...
And yeah, once mama moves them out, I'll be putting in that door....

jOhN 23-04-2009 05:21 AM

Bunch of Buntings

wrote:
I assume they are birds?

I have seen cardinals this year. Last winter we had a great big Grey
Owl . He was so majestic.

Its wonderful to see wildlife and nature. Including the many
butterflies that seem to come along. One of the many reasons I spend
ours in my garden when I can.

Have a super day!

Anita

These buntings are are not something you'd expect around Central Texas
from their appearance - the painted version in particular. Indigos are
cool, too.

http://audubon2.org/watchlist/viewSpecies.jsp?id=156

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Indigo_Bunting/id

[email protected] 23-04-2009 11:25 AM

Bunch of Buntings

Thank you for link with the pictures. My goodness they are beautiful.
Now I want to see one.
Texas has some very beautiful birds I must admit. Must have something
to do with migratory path of that sort.

Thank you again,
A.

jeang[_2_] 28-04-2009 04:45 PM

Bunch of Buntings

"jOhN" wrote in message
We have had 4 Indigo and 2 Painted buntings hanging out by our feeder for
a couple of days. Woohoo!

jOhN

Boy how lucky can you get - I have only seen pictures of those beautiful
birds. Can I ask - how do you keep cats away from your feeders? My
neighbors lovely friendly orange cat who I very much like is at my feeder
almost twice a week. He is not the least afraid of coyoye pee - if you'll
excuse the expression. Any suggestions? Jean Vancouver BC

jOhN 29-04-2009 12:13 PM

Bunch of Buntings

jeang wrote:

"jOhN" wrote in message
We have had 4 Indigo and 2 Painted buntings hanging out by our feeder
for a couple of days. Woohoo!

jOhN

Boy how lucky can you get - I have only seen pictures of those beautiful
birds. Can I ask - how do you keep cats away from your feeders? My
neighbors lovely friendly orange cat who I very much like is at my
feeder almost twice a week. He is not the least afraid of coyoye pee -
if you'll excuse the expression. Any suggestions? Jean Vancouver BC

My two Boston Terriers may be out in the yard any time and the cats know
it. The feeder is also located in a open area so they can see what's
happening.

jOhN