Old 15-07-2009, 03:28 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Bird Sound Identity

What bird is flying around the medium sized waterways trying to pick
up a mate this time of year?

It's makes this hideous, teradactyl-like screech that lasts 4-5
seconds with a 4-5 second pause between screeches. I hear 3 bursts
at a time while it's within distance.

The first time it flew overhead I heard it at what seemed like a
mile. Then went off right above my head it sounded like an alien was
landing. Too dark to see what it might be.

I've heard at 3:00am Sunday (the loudest). 9pm on Sunday fairly
close, and again Monday morning at 10:00am much farther away.
Haven't heard it since.

I could swear it was a teradactyl but the strength of the sound.

-sw
Old 15-07-2009, 03:52 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:28:20 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

I've heard at 3:00am Sunday (the loudest). 9pm on Sunday fairly
close, and again Monday morning at 10:00am much farther away.
Haven't heard it since.

Make that "last heard at 8:45PM Tuesday nigh" (2 minutes ago). It's
more of a whistle when you hear it in the distance, but when you
hear it up close it's like harsh whistle/screech by something that's
running out of breath (for 5 long seconds).

-sw
Old 15-07-2009, 03:58 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:28:20 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

I've heard at 3:00am Sunday (the loudest). 9pm on Sunday fairly
close, and again Monday morning at 10:00am much farther away.
Haven't heard it since.

Make that "last heard at 8:45PM Tuesday nigh" (2 minutes ago). It's
more of a whistle when you hear it in the distance, but when you
hear it up close it's like harsh whistle/screech by something that's
running out of breath (for 5 long seconds).

-sw

Probably a nighthawk.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Old 15-07-2009, 04:11 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:58:25 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:28:20 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

I've heard at 3:00am Sunday (the loudest). 9pm on Sunday fairly
close, and again Monday morning at 10:00am much farther away.
Haven't heard it since.

Make that "last heard at 8:45PM Tuesday nigh" (2 minutes ago). It's
more of a whistle when you hear it in the distance, but when you
hear it up close it's like harsh whistle/screech by something that's
running out of breath (for 5 long seconds).

Probably a nighthawk.

A 1-2 ounce bird can't make a sounds like that.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/C...ghthawk/sounds

Hah! That's definitely not it. Thanks for the laugh,
though ;-)

-sw
Old 15-07-2009, 04:15 AM posted to austin.gardening

Sqwertz wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:28:20 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

I've heard at 3:00am Sunday (the loudest). 9pm on Sunday fairly
close, and again Monday morning at 10:00am much farther away.
Haven't heard it since.

Make that "last heard at 8:45PM Tuesday nigh" (2 minutes ago). It's
more of a whistle when you hear it in the distance, but when you
hear it up close it's like harsh whistle/screech by something that's
running out of breath (for 5 long seconds).

Probably a nighthawk.

A 1-2 ounce bird can't make a sounds like that.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/C...ghthawk/sounds

Hah! That's definitely not it. Thanks for the laugh,
though ;-)

-sw

Ok, they do live around here. ;-)

It's possible it may be a screech owl too. They are small but make the
most gawd-awful noise sometimes. Fun to rehab tho'...
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Old 15-07-2009, 04:17 AM posted to austin.gardening

Sqwertz wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:28:20 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

I've heard at 3:00am Sunday (the loudest). 9pm on Sunday fairly
close, and again Monday morning at 10:00am much farther away.
Haven't heard it since.

Make that "last heard at 8:45PM Tuesday nigh" (2 minutes ago). It's
more of a whistle when you hear it in the distance, but when you
hear it up close it's like harsh whistle/screech by something that's
running out of breath (for 5 long seconds).

Probably a nighthawk.

A 1-2 ounce bird can't make a sounds like that.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/C...ghthawk/sounds

Hah! That's definitely not it. Thanks for the laugh,
though ;-)

-sw

Okay, try this one. Common barn owl:

http://www.owlpages.com/sounds/Tyto-alba-3.mp3

Scary. g
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Old 15-07-2009, 05:01 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
What bird is flying around the medium sized waterways trying to pick
up a mate this time of year?

It's makes this hideous, teradactyl-like screech that lasts 4-5
seconds with a 4-5 second pause between screeches. I hear 3 bursts
at a time while it's within distance.

The first time it flew overhead I heard it at what seemed like a
mile. Then went off right above my head it sounded like an alien was
landing. Too dark to see what it might be.

I've heard at 3:00am Sunday (the loudest). 9pm on Sunday fairly
close, and again Monday morning at 10:00am much farther away.
Haven't heard it since.

I could swear it was a teradactyl but the strength of the sound.

-sw

Giant Cicada / Chicharra Grande
http://www.texasento.net/Cicada.htm

Link to sound files of this screaming loud insect

Old 15-07-2009, 07:21 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:01:25 -0500, cat daddy wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
What bird is flying around the medium sized waterways trying to pick
up a mate this time of year?

It's makes this hideous, teradactyl-like screech that lasts 4-5
seconds with a 4-5 second pause between screeches. I hear 3 bursts
at a time while it's within distance.

The first time it flew overhead I heard it at what seemed like a
mile. Then went off right above my head it sounded like an alien was
landing. Too dark to see what it might be.

I've heard at 3:00am Sunday (the loudest). 9pm on Sunday fairly
close, and again Monday morning at 10:00am much farther away.
Haven't heard it since.

I could swear it was a teradactyl but the strength of the sound.

-sw

Giant Cicada / Chicharra Grande
http://www.texasento.net/Cicada.htm

Link to sound files of this screaming loud insect

Thanks, but that's not it either. This thing is soaring overhead at
probably 30+ MPH with no chirping noise following the
whistle/shreek. But that was a good guess :-) At first I thought
that mght be it, but this thing travels.

FWIW, I work next to the river and I've never heard it here during
the day (but there's a lot of street noise).

Is there a bird group this can be posted to?

-sw
Old 15-07-2009, 07:34 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:17:58 -0500, Omelet wrote:

http://www.owlpages.com/sounds/Tyto-alba-3.mp3

Could be a type of owl, but do owls fly for miles at a time?

This bird's whistle is more consistent and it spends about a half
second revving up and winding down it's whistle/screech.

-sw
Old 15-07-2009, 07:56 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:17:58 -0500, Omelet wrote:

http://www.owlpages.com/sounds/Tyto-alba-3.mp3

Could be a type of owl, but do owls fly for miles at a time?

When they are hunting, yes!

This bird's whistle is more consistent and it spends about a half
second revving up and winding down it's whistle/screech.

-sw

Please let us know if you do manage to pin it down.
You have piqued my curiosity. ;-)

Owls would make sense as they are night birds.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Old 15-07-2009, 08:29 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
[...]

There's just been a lot of discussion of what you've described and this is
what is active now and not common to the area previously. They do fly and
especially around waterways.

Old 16-07-2009, 04:15 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:29:22 -0500, cat daddy wrote:

Giant Cicada

OK. Now that I've read the website some more and heard it again
tonight, this may be it. Even though it sounded very close, I still
have never heard the chirping - just the whistle.

It's like there's only 1 of them in all of southern Austin just
making the rounds. I first heard it at Stasney and Congress really
loud - sounded right overhead (July 11th 4:00am). Then at WM Cannon
and Mopaq the next day and night, and again in San Leana/Kyle the
last 2 nights. It sounds like one big mofo ******* flying around.

What was noticeable tonight is that all the regular cicadas, which
were making a racket at the time, stopped when they heard the sound
close by.

Totally weird.

-sw
Old 16-07-2009, 06:42 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:29:22 -0500, cat daddy wrote:

Giant Cicada

OK. Now that I've read the website some more and heard it again
tonight, this may be it. Even though it sounded very close, I still
have never heard the chirping - just the whistle.

It's like there's only 1 of them in all of southern Austin just
making the rounds. I first heard it at Stasney and Congress really
loud - sounded right overhead (July 11th 4:00am). Then at WM Cannon
and Mopaq the next day and night, and again in San Leana/Kyle the
last 2 nights. It sounds like one big mofo ******* flying around.

What was noticeable tonight is that all the regular cicadas, which
were making a racket at the time, stopped when they heard the sound
close by.

Totally weird.

I'd like to hear it...... There's a Google group that reports sightings
(hearings?) around Austin...... It's interesting how everyone describes it
now, as well as historically. I imagine the regular cicadas are wondering
who the hell that giant monster is that's speaking a similar language......
Best to shutup and not attract its attention...
Travis Heights apparently has been hearing the same noise....

Old 17-07-2009, 05:02 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 23:42:52 -0500, cat daddy wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
[...]

I reported it there, pointing to this thread in a.g. "Cicadas of
Texas" is the group name, IIRC.

It's interesting how everyone describes it now, as well
as historically.

Yep. That's when I had to come to the same conclusion. I spend a
fair amount of time outdoors without an iPod, Bluetooth-anything, or
SUV.

I imagine the regular cicadas are wondering
who the hell that giant monster is that's speaking a similar language......
Best to shutup and not attract its attention...'
Travis Heights apparently has been hearing the same noise....

Those hippies in the Heights are probably just stoned out of their
gourds ;-)

I've heard it pretty clearly for many nights (and even some days).
It's pretty freaky. It sure threw the local cicadas for a loop as
well. I imagine they're pretty freaked-out, too. Heck, it's only
been 70 years since their ancestors heard them.

I can't believe a 2" bug can make *that* much noise.

Thank you for pointing these out to me and relieving me of possible
loss of sanity. I'm just sorry the rest of the folks reading this
haven't heard them to the extent I have. Once you hear it up close,
you'll hear it when it's a few miles away as well.

-sw
Old 17-07-2009, 05:19 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

Giant Cicada / Chicharra Grande
http://www.texasento.net/Cicada.htm