Old 23-07-2009, 01:04 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Wild persimmon questions

We have a couple wild persimmon bushes on our lot, one male, one
female at least that is what a nursery guy told us when we took in
branches.

One bush has a good crop of green berries, about the size of big
grapes or small plumbs. I suppose these change color when they are
ripe.

Is the fruit good for eating, or leave it for the birds if they will
eat it?

Also, can you plant the berries and raise more bushes?

I know, we should have asked the nursery, but my wife took the
samples in and didn't think to ask any more than they offered.

Thanks, Bob-tx