Old 08-08-2010, 02:35 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default summer branch drop

OK, so some very significant branches have come down in my yard
(fortunately not on my house!) this summer out of several abundantly
healthy trees. One an American elm, another a cedar elm, and just a
few minutes ago from a pecan. No wind. Just "groan ... crash!" Kind of
exciting.

It seems that "summer branch drop" is not uncommon, but I'd never seen
it before. In fact, I was staring right out the window at it when the
Pecan branch came down an hour ago. Almost four inches in diameter.
These trees are about four feet above the water table, in the flood
plain of a creek, so they are certainly not water-stressed.

Is there something going on this summer?