Old 04-05-2010, 01:24 AM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening,rec.food.cooking

Default Wild Onions - Maybe Ramps?

Sqwertz wrote:
Last weekend I was sitting near the underside of the Canyon Ridge
Bridge

Great writing!
Austin I don't know, but here in Houston I would
say nutria and chives.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:06 AM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening,rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
On Mon, 03 May 2010 18:24:39 -0600, Paul wrote:

Sqwertz wrote:
Last weekend I was sitting near the underside of the Canyon Ridge
Bridge

Great writing!
Austin I don't know, but here in Houston I would
say nutria and chives.

These were much bigger than chives with a definite root. And they
were taken from a low swampy flat land next to the creek. That much
I could tell.

Nutria? ... Oh - you mean the swamp rat. It was definitely a
Texas River Otter:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...es/otter/otter.

"Their short legs and long, slender physique makes their movements
on land seem awkward, but they are graceful and nimble in the
water."

This guy was almost the full 2 feet long, as well. So that's why I
described the scene as comical. Any other wild animal would have
ducked into the water or turned around as soon as it saw me. This
is why I thought it was a tame dog at first. I saw it turn the
corner 30 yards away and we saw each other at the same time, but it
didn't even flinch, just kept coming.

-sw

How cool! I did a google pic search.
I lived all over Texas for 40 years and never knew there
was such a thing. Thanks!
Maybe what I call chives are not chives?
I get them from the banks of the Brazos River
and swampy places from Katy to Dallas.
Now I will have to search
Old 04-05-2010, 03:51 AM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

Nutria? ... Oh - you mean the swamp rat. It was definitely a
Texas River Otter:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...es/otter/otter.

"Their short legs and long, slender physique makes their movements
on land seem awkward, but they are graceful and nimble in the
water."

This guy was almost the full 2 feet long, as well. So that's why I
described the scene as comical. Any other wild animal would have
ducked into the water or turned around as soon as it saw me. This
is why I thought it was a tame dog at first. I saw it turn the
corner 30 yards away and we saw each other at the same time, but it
didn't even flinch, just kept coming.

-sw

Pages not found. :-(
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Old 04-05-2010, 04:16 PM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening,rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 May 2010 21:51:04 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

Nutria? ... Oh - you mean the swamp rat. It was definitely a
Texas River Otter:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...es/otter/otter.

"Their short legs and long, slender physique makes their movements
on land seem awkward, but they are graceful and nimble in the
water."

This guy was almost the full 2 feet long, as well. So that's why I
described the scene as comical. Any other wild animal would have
ducked into the water or turned around as soon as it saw me. This
is why I thought it was a tame dog at first. I saw it turn the
corner 30 yards away and we saw each other at the same time, but it
didn't even flinch, just kept coming.

-sw

Pages not found. :-(

boop off the last 'otter' thusly

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/otter/

your pal,
blake

;
Old 05-05-2010, 09:32 PM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening,rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 May 2010 11:02:11 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

On Tue, 4 May 2010 11:16:51 -0400, blake murphy wrote:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...es/otter/otter.

Pages not found. :-(

boop off the last 'otter' thusly

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/otter/

The period should have been a (forgot to press shift). That would
have been easier to figure out than 1425%.

-sw

life is full of mysteries.

your pal,
blake

Old 06-05-2010, 01:01 AM posted to austin.food,austin.gardening,rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

[...]

~
Gracias Senor! :-)