Old 15-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Michelle Fulton

Default Basil and the Texas heat....

Hi, all :-) I'm new to the group, from Fort Worth and have a question. I
decided, yesterday, to plant some basil so I would have a constant supply of
fresh basil that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Now I'm not sure how best
to harvest it and keep the plants healthy and growing. Also, I know when
that little tag says "full-sun" it doesn't usually take into account *our*
full-sun. What really is the best sun condition for basil in Texas?

I'm sure someone here has some good tips for me.
Thanks, in advance, for any help :-)

Old 15-05-2003, 11:56 PM
dt

"Michelle Fulton" wrote in message
gy.com...
Hi, all :-) I'm new to the group, from Fort Worth and have a question. I
decided, yesterday, to plant some basil so I would have a constant supply

of
fresh basil that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Now I'm not sure how best
to harvest it and keep the plants healthy and growing. Also, I know when
that little tag says "full-sun" it doesn't usually take into account *our*
full-sun. What really is the best sun condition for basil in Texas?

I'm sure someone here has some good tips for me.
Thanks, in advance, for any help :-)

We had some basil growing in a planter last year on the north side of the
house. It got direct sun until maybe 10:00 in the morning and did just
fine. Don't know what's "best".
Pinch off a stem when you need it. Pinching the end of a stem will make it
get bushier, too.

And wouldn't "Basil and the Texas Heat" be a good name for a band? (I gotta
quit reading Dave Barry!)

Dale

Old 16-05-2003, 12:08 AM
animaux

Basil does perfectly well in full sun, in Texas. It is a Mediterranean native,
so does great in baking, dry heat. I grew several types of basil up in Dallas,
when we lived there. Keep the flowers nipped off to encourage foliage to keep
coming and harvest the morning after you've watered it. Do not water it, then
harvest immediately. The flavor will not be as strong. Italian basil is the
best culinary basil. Many others are available and I've grown those for
ornamental value.

Old 16-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Michelle Fulton

"dt" wrote in message

And wouldn't "Basil and the Texas Heat" be a good name for a band? (I

gotta
quit reading Dave Barry!)

Sounds good to me ;-) Thanks for the tips, everyone :-)

Old 17-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Gjkajal

what were the tips on this, as i also have a basil plant and would like to know
the tips.
Old 17-05-2003, 04:44 PM
animaux

On Sat, 17 May 2003 01:51:42 GMT, "Cliff" wrote:

It must be a terrible responsibility to be an expert on every subject.

Jealous?
Old 17-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Michelle Fulton

"Gjkajal" wrote in message
what were the tips on this, as i also have a basil plant and would like to

know
the tips.

Well, what I got out of it was....

It does fine in full "Texas" sun, as well as , just getting morning sun.
Also, we should pinch the end of the stem, when you need some, to encourage
the plant to get bushier, which means more ends to pinch :-)

Old 17-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Gjkajal wrote:
what were the tips on this, as i also have a basil plant and would like to know
the tips.

Full sun, water only when needed, pinch flower stalks before they bloom. It's
actually quite easy to grow. Does much better in the ground than in containers
though.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 21-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Mr. Chaos 007

I like to plant in full or partial sun, usually between the tomato plants,
well mulched and decently watered.

Dave
Gardens of the Ancients Herb Emporium
www.gardensoftheancients.com

Old 21-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Elizabeth of the Tudor Tarts

Actually, I prefer African Blue Basil as the best culinary basil. It has an
incredible flavor that compliments any dish in which you use it. It's also
a lot easier to grow here. It's heat-hardy and I end up with large bushes
at the end of the season to dry or freeze.
--
Elizabeth of the Tudor Tarts
http://www.tudortarts.com/

Old 21-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Steve Coyle

Howdy folks,
A neighbor of mine planted African Blue Basil in a mass planting
around an ornamental tree in a five foot diameter circle last year.
Aside from cooking with it, it was great to look at with dark leaves
and purple flowerheads. It had no problems with the heat and produced
far more than he could use for pesto. It also didn't get that black
stem rot that I always have a problem with on the standard sweet
basil.
I took some photos of his garden for my web site, so if anyone
wants to look they can go to my article index and find ( 'The garden
across the street' ) and the photo shows the tree ring planting, with
the flowers up above his sitting bench in bloom.
In our household I have to keep a steady supply of Basil for my
wife who loves the stuff which is difficult since I can't stand the
taste and am always picking leaves out of my salad. It's a trade off
though, because if I lived alone and had to cook for myself, I would
probably spend my life growing nothing but Kentucky Wonder and Blue
Lake Beans and living off my favorite recipe of Green beans,
Cambell's mushroom soup, and canned crunchy onion rings. So I guess
she keeps my gardening radar up in good order.

take care,
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com
Old 21-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Victor M. Martinez

What does this basil taste like compared to regular italian (sweet) basil?

Old 21-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Michelle Fulton

"Steve Coyle" wrote in message
om...

A neighbor of mine planted African Blue Basil in a mass planting
around an ornamental tree in a five foot diameter circle last year.
Aside from cooking with it, it was great to look at with dark leaves
and purple flowerheads.

Thanks for the info, Steve, but you call it African Blue Basil in your post,
and on the website I believe it said Thai basil. Would you please confirm?

Thanks,

Old 21-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Michelle Fulton

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in message
What does this basil taste like compared to regular italian (sweet) basil?

I was surfing for info on basil and came across this site that says African
Blue Basil is not usually used for cooking.
http://chefsgarden.com/basilafrican.htm