Old 14-02-2003, 05:25 PM
will

Default How hard is it to grow wheatgrass?

Hello.
At petco and pet places like that, they have small little containers
with wheatgrass growing in them.

I was wondering whether or not it's hard to grow wheatgrass, if I should
put the pot ouside or leave it in the house, and whether or not you guys
know of any place where I could pick up seeds for wheatgrass.

It's great stuff, and my lizards love it. It has more nutrients then any
other plant or vegtable that I could feed them

Ok. Thanks for the help.

=will=

Old 14-02-2003, 05:56 PM
Victor M. Martinez

will wrote:
It's great stuff, and my lizards love it. It has more nutrients then any
other plant or vegtable that I could feed them

It's trivial to grow it, we do it when it's warm outside for the cats. They
love eating it and it's good for them. We've used wheat seeds bought at
the Natural Gardener, but I've also used "cooking" winter wheat bought
at CM.
Use small pots and cover them with plastic wrap after planting until
they sprout. It helps keep the moisture in and the birds out.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 14-02-2003, 08:03 PM
animaux

I use wheatgrass seeds to feed my parrot. I don't sprout them as much as I
"germinate" them and she then eats them like that. I buy the organic seeds at
Whole Food's Market. If you go to the one on Lamar and Sixth, they are to the
far right as soon as you walk in by the produce section. They also have other
seeds on that rack. My bird also loves radish "sprouts."

They are very easy to grow indoors on a sunny window.

Old 15-02-2003, 10:17 AM
Robert Gates

Will,

Wheatgrass is very easy to grow. I put about 1" of organic dirt in a seed
tray. Soak 1 cup of wheatgrass seed overnight in clean pure water. Next day,
spread out the cup of wheatgrass seed on top of the dirt. Water the seeds
very well. You then cover the seeds with newspaper. Water the seeds every
day by wetting the newspaper with a fine spray. The seeds will sprot in
about two to three days. As the plants start to grow, they push the
newspaper up. Remove the newspaper and place by a window. The grass will
green up the first day and be about 8 to 10 inches tall in a week. Do not
over water, or black fungus will attack the wheat.

You can buy wheatgrass seed from several sources over the Internet. Just
search for wheatgrass at www.google.com. There is even wheatgrass kits and a
wheatgrass newletter from this web address.

http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/

Regards,
Robert

Old 15-02-2003, 04:29 PM
Steve Wertz

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 04:17:20 -0600, "Robert Gates"
wrote:

You can buy wheatgrass seed from several sources over the Internet. Just
search for wheatgrass at www.google.com. There is even wheatgrass kits and a
wheatgrass newletter from this web address.

I'm sure WHole Foods carries it too. They grow slabs of the stuff for
insertion into their juicer. What is it, about $3/ounce of juice?

-sw