Old 22-02-2003, 02:07 PM
Dora Smith

Default Should I start seeds outside now?

How soon should I start seeds outside? Now, February 28, or March 7?
It would be nice if the flowers bloom before the weather gets hot.

Dora
Old 23-02-2003, 09:31 AM
Robbin

Last average freeze date for the Austin area is around Texas Independance
day -- March 2! Depending on what you plant, it should just take light
protection as the seeds probably won't germinate for a week or more due to
soil temperature.

"animaux" wrote in message
On 22 Feb 2003 06:07:39 -0800, (Dora Smith) wrote:

How soon should I start seeds outside? Now, February 28, or March 7?
It would be nice if the flowers bloom before the weather gets hot.

Dora

In a word, no. But you can start certain things now. I have perennials

started
in my greenhouse, but it won't be time to move them out till at least

March 15,
actually the end of March would be the safest bet. We can get a late,

killing
freeze as late as April.

Calendula
stock
snapdragons
sweet peas
lettuce
onion sets can go in

Old 24-02-2003, 03:43 AM
Robbin

Actually it is the date that I have heard for Austin for many (like 20)
years now. I just did some looking and found frost maps on the web at
http://www.houstongardening.info/freeze.htm. This map indicates a slightly
later date. However, according to a site on McKinney Falls park located at
http://areas.wildernet.com/pages/are...SPMCKI&CU_ID=1 March 2 is
the last average freeze at the park. The last freeze date is definately
variable depending on where you live in the Austin area. However, with the
city staying slightly warmer due to all of the concrete, I believe that the
2nd is probably pretty close for the central Austin area. My guess is that
the weather records from Mueller Airport would support this, although I
cannot find them in the proper format to confirm this.

"animaux" wrote in message
Out of curiosity, where did you get March 2 as our average last frost

date?

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 01:31:33 -0800, "Robbin" wrote:

Last average freeze date for the Austin area is around Texas Independance
day -- March 2! Depending on what you plant, it should just take light
protection as the seeds probably won't germinate for a week or more due

soil temperature.

.. .

Old 24-02-2003, 01:17 PM
Texensis

"Dora Smith" wrote in message
om...
| How soon should I start seeds outside? Now, February 28, or March
7?
| It would be nice if the flowers bloom before the weather gets hot.
|
| Dora

Don't forget nasturtiums. They almost always germinate and are
immediately recognizable to the novice (round lily-pad leaves). The
climbing or trailing ones are good for a change, especially in hanging
baskets or windowboxes. They tend to shrivel up in the first heat so
they should be planted now. By judiciously moving pots around, we've
kept some from last year blooming through the winter. Nasturtiums, if
they form seeds, will volunteer and be true.

Old 26-02-2003, 12:57 AM
Dora Smith

Thanks to all who wrote - I never expected this response!

Actually what you wrote corresponds to my experience and common sense, so I
started my seeds outside in pie pans and a milk carton.

Last night and tonight they are in the garage. Some of my other plants are
covered.

Last frost has been March 2 or first weekend in March last two years
straight. I remember vividly how many times I had to bring in all the
plants I planted on Valentine's day in their big pots and window boxes - two
years running! Last year, I had to bring them in EVERY single weekend for
the next three weekends.

Anyone want to place bets on when last frost is this year? Tee-hee-hee.

Or on if there will be spring flowers, since most of them bloomed in
January.

I think nasturtiums are those orange-red things that I tried out one year
back in Buffalo and hate.

Snice was a nice touch for Austin version of snow.

Yours,
Dora

om...