Old 24-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Carol Adams

Default Bell peppers and rabbits, raccoons, possums, etc.

Something is taking my mature bell peppers. Whoever or whatever it is, they
are breaking the stem above the pepper and then either removing it from the
area or consuming it entirely - in other words, they leave absolutely no
seeds or scraps; the peppers are simply gone. The stems they break to take
away the peppers look broken and not gnawed.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be doing this? I live in an area
where rabbits, raccoons, and possums are plentiful (deer too, but the pepper
thefts are taking place inside my deer fence, so I know it can't be the
deer). If critters don't take peppers, then I'm going to have to conclude
it's a human who's coming into my yard and helping himself/herself. Peppers
are the only vegetable I'm growing at the moment, so I haven't had similar
experiences with other plants.

The pepper thefts occur regularly - in fact I have not been able to take a
single pepper for my own use yet this year. Whoever/whatever is taking them
does not take the immature fruits - just the ones that are ready to harvest.
My fence does not keep out rabbits, raccoons, or possums, and I even get an
occasional fox in my backyard. Does anyone have any ideas about what sort of
critter might be taking my peppers? I've grown them before and not had this
problem, but maybe I was just lucky.

thanks
carol

Old 24-05-2003, 05:21 PM
Libralove

in article , Carol Adams at
wrote on 5/24/03 10:13 AM:

Something is taking my mature bell peppers. Whoever or whatever it is, they
are breaking the stem above the pepper and then either removing it from the
area or consuming it entirely - in other words, they leave absolutely no
seeds or scraps; the peppers are simply gone. The stems they break to take
away the peppers look broken and not gnawed.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be doing this? I live in an area
where rabbits, raccoons, and possums are plentiful (deer too, but the pepper
thefts are taking place inside my deer fence, so I know it can't be the
deer). If critters don't take peppers, then I'm going to have to conclude
it's a human who's coming into my yard and helping himself/herself. Peppers
are the only vegetable I'm growing at the moment, so I haven't had similar
experiences with other plants.

Yep, I think you nailed it. If you work during the day and are not home to
guard them, it is most likely a nervy neighbor too cheap to purchase
produce.

Old 25-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Joe Doe

In article , Libralove
wrote:

Yep, I think you nailed it. If you work during the day and are not home to
guard them, it is most likely a nervy neighbor too cheap to purchase
produce.

Well I have a Fig tree and am yet to eat one fig but I think it is the
birds that are gettting them - I wait till they ripen, they wait till
they ripen, they get them when they are perfectly ripe. I also thought it
might be someone off the street because the tree has alley access, but
occasionally see half eaten figs on the tree so am pretty sure it is
wildlife of some sort. Try bird netting on your peppers and see if
they survive. You could also try enclosing the maturing fruit in hose, or
clear plastic bag with a few holes punched in for air and see if they
survive.

Roland
Old 25-05-2003, 02:20 AM
G a e X a v i e r

I do not like the bird netting. I know it protects fruit from the birds, but I
watched helplessly as one little wren got hopelessly tangled in it, but got
hung and ruined his little leg trying to twist his way out of it.

It is a very cruel way to deter birds. I also had to cut a rat snake out of
mine when he/she got hopelessly entangled and was dying. Had I not picked up
the netting from the ground, I would never have seen the poor dying snake and
cut it loose from the tangled net. I think he survived, but he would not have
had I not cut him loose. We have rats out here and we need the rat snakes.

Please don't use the webbing. Once your fig tree gets bigger there will be more
than enough for you and the birds. My neighbor has figs coming out her ears in
her 10 year old trees, while my get eaten, but every year there are more for me
even with the birds.

Old 25-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Libralove

in article , Joe Doe at
wrote on 5/25/03 4:56 PM:

In article ,
wrote:

Please don't use the webbing. Once your fig tree gets bigger there will

be more
than enough for you and the birds. My neighbor has figs coming out her ears
in
her 10 year old trees, while my get eaten, but every year there are more

for me
even with the birds.

Actually, the tree is about 20-25 feet tall and was covered with hundreds
of fruit and I still did not get any. I do not intend to buy bird
netting or try to disuade the birds in any way - I think the netting would
be very ugly on a tree so large and would probably cost me quite a bit, be
a chore to install and remove and have the problem of trapping some
wildlife inadevertently - I would rather spend the money at HEB or Central
Market and buy the figs rather than risk the above.

I suggested netting to the person with the pepper problem because the
plants are more compact and they could drape it around more easily.

Roland

The issue here is not "ugly" and "cost". The issue here is the horrible
deaths some birds and critters can suffer if they become ensnared and you
are not right there to release them. That issue includes people trying to
grow peppers and tomatoes.

Birds, especially Jays, love tomatoes, so I suggest to my friends to use CDs
(AOL brand is very good) and hang them around on the tomato cages. The
mirror refection can deter birds. Or a fake owl.

Old 26-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Carol Adams

Back to the pepper theft issue (and thanks for the info on bird netting, as
I have considered it for other purposes and would never have thought it
could be harmful), does everyone concur with Libralove that it's highly
unlikely that wildlife of some sort has been taking my peppers? I've wanted
to believe it was wildlife, as the alternative is much more unpleasant.
However, if the thefts are being carried out by a person and not an animal,
I'm pretty sure I know who it is. I just don't want to confront this person
if there is any chance animals could be taking my peppers. If not, I am
going to have to bring it up with him.

The main evidence for me is the broken (not gnawed) stems above the pepper,
the complete lack of any leavings (like partially eaten fruit), and the fact
that only large, mature-looking fruits are taken. There are plenty of
raccoons in my area - could they be doing this? I'm pretty dubious about the
cottontails, possums, foxes, and coyotes. I think they are either not smart
enough to make such a clean getaway or unlikely to be interested in peppers
in the first place.

thanks
carol

Old 26-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Libralove

in article , Carol Adams at
wrote on 5/25/03 6:19 PM:

[...]

Doubtful. An animal would leave a piece on the ground or a bite off of one
when they hear something and run away. Is it happening at night or during
the day while you are at work? You are talking about green bell peppers?
Nothing else missing? No other signs of critters?

You could rent a closed circuit video system and get one ripe and ready and
then turn it on during the day. Then have a VHS copy made and mail it to
the guy. That would usually stop him without so much as a word spoken.

You could put a bunch of flour on the ground and when one is about ready
then look for tracks or sneaker prints when it is taken.

You could hire a PI and have him sit in your house one day while you drive
off to work.

I would get a bunch of chili pequins or habeneros and put them through the
blender then I would cover the bell peppers with the juice. Of course after
the first time, he would know to just carefully scrub them with a brush and
soap to remove the pepper coating.

So... others must have some ideas.... nothing worse than a bloody pepper
thief.

Old 26-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Carol Adams

I think it's happening during the day but I'm not 100 percent certain.
However, if it's not an animal, then I *am* very close to 100 percent
certain that it's a worker from the landscaping maintenance company that
mows my turf grass. The peppers are actually red bell peppers, which are
green before they turn red and are exceptionally sweet after they fully
ripen. I mail-ordered the seeds from somewhere last year.

It's mostly just annoying - I hate being robbed, even if it's only a few
peppers - and an issue of honesty. I don't need evidence like a videotape or
PI, just enough of a feeling that I'm right about this guy to speak with the
company's owner (which will almost certainly get the person in question
fired). I've been doing business with this company for more than 20 years
and have never had a problem before this. Hence, the missing pepper problem
is more important to me than would otherwise be the case.

thanks
carol

"Libralove" wrote in message
in article , Carol Adams at

Old 26-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Libralove

in article , Carol Adams at
wrote on 5/25/03 8:09 PM:

I think it's happening during the day but I'm not 100 percent certain.
However, if it's not an animal, then I *am* very close to 100 percent
certain that it's a worker from the landscaping maintenance company that
mows my turf grass.

If it is a worker from the landscaping company, I would forget about it.
They pay those guys next to nothing and if he has a family it could be the
one highlight to their meager meal.

The peppers are actually red bell peppers, which are
green before they turn red and are exceptionally sweet after they fully
ripen. I mail-ordered the seeds from somewhere last year.

It's mostly just annoying - I hate being robbed, even if it's only a few
peppers - and an issue of honesty.

I understand your point, but a few peppers is not worth making a man lose
his job, especially since he might have a family to feed. If was a
neighbor, it would be a different issue in my view.

I don't need evidence like a videotape or
PI, just enough of a feeling that I'm right about this guy to speak with the
company's owner (which will almost certainly get the person in question
fired). I've been doing business with this company for more than 20 years
and have never had a problem before this. Hence, the missing pepper problem
is more important to me than would otherwise be the case.

There are a lot of hungry workers these days who are being paid little who
work for those landscaping (grass mowing) outfits. I would just chalk it up
to your having a good heart and charity for someone who might really need
that food.

Best to You -- LL

thanks
carol

"Libralove" wrote in message
in article , Carol Adams at

Old 27-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Joe Doe

In article , Libralove
wrote:

The issue here is not "ugly" and "cost". The issue here is the horrible
deaths some birds and critters can suffer if they become ensnared and you
are not right there to release them. That issue includes people trying to
grow peppers and tomatoes.

I find it interesting that someone who has a great concern for wildlife is
willing to believe the worst about ones fellow man! You entered the
thread suggesting that Carol was right to believe that somebody was
pilfering her peppers. I entered in defense of my species to point out
birds can clear a tree of hundreds of fruit. My faith rests with my
fellow man and certainly doubt her landscaper is pilfering them. Carol
seems certain it is a thief because there is lack of evidence of half
eaten peppers. I in fact very seldom see any trace of fruit - it is only
on the rare occasion that I see half eaten fruit on the tree, which tipped
me off. Carol says that only ripe peppers are picked - that is because
the birds are attracted to the bright red color. As you suggest they are
also attracted to tomatoes and on the gardensweb tomato forum several
participants pick the fruit when it is just beginning to turn color
because they do not want to risk loss to the birds (cannot do this for
figs because they do not ripen off the tree). Lastly, the landscaper
would have to have a death wish (wrt to his/her job) if he crudely breaks
off peppers - any self-respecting human thief would not leave too many
clues. A bird or other wildlife simply grabs the fruit to the best of
their ability and if a stem is crudely broken so be it.

For the gardensweb take on this see:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...473529234.html

For an evolutionary take on the link between birds and peppers see:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0726103553.htm

Dave DeWitt who has written numerous books on fiery foods has this to say
about the numerous other possible pests (first few paras in the link
provided):
http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/pests1.asp

For the Aggie take on it see answer 13 at:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p.../animalpe.html

For the New Zealand organic take on it see the section on pests at:
http://www.soil-health.org.nz/pastis...c02/pepper.htm

On to the issue of bird nets causing unnecessary pain and suffering:
there is a bird net installed in my building at work for the last 3 years
to prevent birds from roosting in the light fixtures. Over this time not
a single bird has been ensnared. Netting is installed on thousands of
orchards and buildings. Birds also die when they fly into windows.
Nobody suggests eliminating windows.

Roland
Old 27-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Libralove

in article , Joe Doe at
wrote on 5/26/03 8:46 PM:

In article , Libralove
wrote:

[...]

Daammmnnn, you got some big ol' birds over there, if they can cleanly twist
off a stem of a nearly ripe bell pepper and carry it away. I think this
requires a "full-grown man scarecrow" in your yard, full-time!

If it were pequins, habbeneros or jalapenos, I might hold off and wait for
that half eaten one, but these are bells, dude.

Carol says that only ripe peppers are picked - that is because
the birds are attracted to the bright red color. As you suggest they are
also attracted to tomatoes and on the gardensweb tomato forum several
participants pick the fruit when it is just beginning to turn color
because they do not want to risk loss to the birds (cannot do this for
figs because they do not ripen off the tree). Lastly, the landscaper
would have to have a death wish (wrt to his/her job) if he crudely breaks
off peppers - any self-respecting human thief would not leave too many
clues. A bird or other wildlife simply grabs the fruit to the best of
their ability and if a stem is crudely broken so be it.

Yep, that is why we figured it was a human -- no crudely broken stems or
parts. And people who are hungry or selfish do not think the gardener will
notice, are capable of cleanly removing a bell pepper. My parents had a
little vegetable plot in a condo community and their tomatoes and peppers
were always being stolen. We used to watch the neighbors harvesting for
their evening meal.

For the gardensweb take on this see:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...473529234.html

Yes, I have seen Jays and Mockingbirds sitting in my chili pequin bush
knockin' them back, but have never seen them take a whole bell pepper as was
disappearing cleanly off Carol's bush.

Gee, you too know how to research on the internet. Good job, Roland.

For an evolutionary take on the link between birds and peppers see:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0726103553.htm

Dave DeWitt who has written numerous books on fiery foods has this to say
about the numerous other possible pests (first few paras in the link
provided):
http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/pests1.asp

For the Aggie take on it see answer 13 at:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p.../animalpe.html

For the New Zealand organic take on it see the section on pests at:
http://www.soil-health.org.nz/pastis...c02/pepper.htm

On to the issue of bird nets causing unnecessary pain and suffering:
there is a bird net installed in my building at work for the last 3 years
to prevent birds from roosting in the light fixtures. Over this time not
a single bird has been ensnared.

And you are there everyday to make sure of it. Right, dude?

Netting is installed on thousands of
orchards and buildings. Birds also die when they fly into windows.
Nobody suggests eliminating windows.

The owner of your office building can kill birds by hanging bird netting if
he wants to, but I prefer not to watch animals, reptiles and birds die a
horrible death tangled up in webbing in my backyard.

Thank you, Mr. Sunshine. Best -- LL

Roland

Rabbits, rabbits everywhere wind'n'stone United Kingdom 4 22-05-2008 08:15 PM
Bell Peppers Aria Gardening 1 24-09-2005 10:43 PM
Bell Peppers Mira Gardening 2 05-09-2004 05:43 PM
Hot weather tomatoes & bell peppers ? Gene S Texas 17 15-04-2003 03:45 PM
What kind of critter steals bell peppers? Carol Adams Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM