Old 29-05-2003, 06:23 AM
Marc Stephenson

Default Low perennials for 50sqft, full sun, poor drainage, deer-res.?

I've been slowly filling in a 7' x 30' strip between my driveway
and a western retaining wall. The strip is on a 35-degree slope
along the 30' dimension. The retaining wall varies in height
from a few inches to a high point of about 8 feet. It's still
basically a full sun area.

As I've worked my way down to the street, the soil has changed to
a mucky consistency (along with solid rock). I'm concerned that
some of the plants that I've utilized farther up the bed will
not hold up well in the muck. The other plants that I have in
the bed a (basically from the top, though some repeat in areas)
Silverado sage, copper canyon daisies,
salvia greggii, Mexican marigold mint, zexmenia, society garlic (variegated
and non-variegated), Russian sage, Thompson yucca, garland gold yucca,
pavonia, Mexican wiregrass, and flame acanthus.

That leaves me with a 7x7 patch at the bottom. The plants at the bottom
cannot be tall because we need visibility to the sidewalk and street
as we descend the driveway. I was thinking about wall germander at the
bottom but am concerned that they will rot. I would like something that
is compact so that it won't sprawl out on to the driveway and sidewalk
(which takes trailing rosemary out of the picture).

Any ideas for drainage-indifferent, low-growing, compact perennials
which are deer-resistant?

--
Marc Stephenson IBM Systems Group - Austin,TX
T/L: 678-3189
Old 01-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Carol Adams

Deer don't like herbs (or anything aromatic), so how about something in the
small herb family (e.g., one or more of the many varieties of thyme, or
compact Mexican sage, or curry plants)? I have all of these and the deer
leave them completely alone. Just go to a nursery that has a good selection
of small herbs (e.g., Pots and Plants at Bee Caves x 360 or some of the herb
specialty places) and find yourself some nice, aromatic, low-growing
perennial herbs. Also a perennial verbena might be a possibility. You might
have to trim it to keep it off the sidewalk but it would look nice with your
other plantings. In my experience, verbena does okay in lots of different
environments. Also, brachycome might do well - I'm not sure, but they seem
to need more water than actual xeriscape plants so if the "muck" is damp,
they might do okay. Vinca is also pretty, hardy, and completely unappealing
to deer. You could also dig a little sand into the muck to improve its
drainage and aeration.

Old 05-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Gale

How about catmint. I mean the 12" variety from Wayside Gardens. I've had
it for about 4 yrs....great low maintenance plant, small grey-green leaves
& blue flowers that are very abundant. Takes full sun to partial shade &
drought tolerant. I feel like I'm writing for a garden catalogue.

. ..

Old 06-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Marc Stephenson

In article ,
Gale wrote:
How about catmint. I mean the 12" variety from Wayside Gardens. I've had
it for about 4 yrs....great low maintenance plant, small grey-green leaves
& blue flowers that are very abundant. Takes full sun to partial shade &
drought tolerant. I feel like I'm writing for a garden catalogue.

"Dwarf catmint - napeta mussinii," I would presume (napeta x fassenii grows
to 2 feet, which is within the required height limits) . Maybe so, though I
haven't had success matching it against my deer-resistance sources. I've
considered "catmint" at Barton Springs Nursery, but something has kept me from
jumping on it.

Everything that I read says that cats love it - do they eat it, lay in it,
or what? When I gave a catnip ball to our cat when I was a kid, he played
with like he was drunk. The cat across the street already uses our mulch
for a litter box - I don't need it over more often.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:08 PM
chris

The lemon catnip won't attract cats, however it may be too tall for
your use. Mine has stay under 2ft so far.
My lemon catnip is infested with spider mites this year so
it's not without it's own problems.

Chris in Aquatic Austin

Old 06-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Texensis

"Marc Stephenson" wrote in message
snip

| Everything that I read says that cats love it - do they eat it, lay
in it,
| or what? When I gave a catnip ball to our cat when I was a kid, he
played
| with like he was drunk. The cat across the street already uses our
mulch
| for a litter box - I don't need it over more often.
| --
| Marc Stephenson IBM Systems Group - Austin,TX
| T/L: 678-3189

Cats eat it right up--or rather down, to the ground--just as soon as
they find it, which is soon!

Old 06-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Jessi

We have catnip growing in our herb garden that the cats
LOVE. There is a wire cage surrounding the core of the plant
to prevent over grazing.

However, the cats are completely disinterested in the Nepeta
fassenii growing close by. I have not encountered any cat
yet that pays much attention to catmint. They prefer the
"hard stuff"... catnip.

Old 06-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Marc Stephenson

Okay, catmint (nepeta) it is. A simple "catmint deer" google found plenty
of hits.

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Texensis

"Marc Stephenson" wrote in message
| Okay, catmint (nepeta) it is. A simple "catmint deer" google found
plenty
| of hits.
|
| Thanks!
| --
| Marc Stephenson IBM Systems Group - Austin,TX
| T/L: 678-3189

Wish you luck--we've tried nepeta over and over again, including with
decoy catnip--it's always eaten to the ground (sigh).

Old 09-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Marc Stephenson

In article ,
Texensis wrote:

"Marc Stephenson" wrote in message
| Okay, catmint (nepeta) it is. A simple "catmint deer" google found
plenty
| of hits.
|
| Thanks!
| --
| Marc Stephenson IBM Systems Group - Austin,TX
| T/L: 678-3189

Wish you luck--we've tried nepeta over and over again, including with
decoy catnip--it's always eaten to the ground (sigh).

Hadn't bought any yet - so I won't. Thanks.