Old 04-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Wayfarer

Default Will moth balls work with tomatoes?

Ok even a full bird feeder isn't working this year - at least well enough!
And I can not afford to spend the $10 a week on feeding them.

They are going after even the slightly orange tomatoes and it is such a huge
flock of White Winged Doves that have taken over I don't even get the
Blackbirds, Jays, Wrens, & Sparrows anymore.

Has anyone tried hanging those moth balls from the tomato cages? Does it
dissuade the birds? Does it affect (adversely) the tomatoes themselves?

Anyone else having a lot of trouble this year too?

--
Marta
(if you email me directly you need to remove the X )

Old 04-06-2003, 08:56 PM
wws

"Wayfarer" wrote in message
gy.com...
Ok even a full bird feeder isn't working this year - at least well enough!
And I can not afford to spend the $10 a week on feeding them.

They are going after even the slightly orange tomatoes and it is such a

huge
flock of White Winged Doves that have taken over I don't even get the
Blackbirds, Jays, Wrens, & Sparrows anymore.

Has anyone tried hanging those moth balls from the tomato cages? Does it
dissuade the birds? Does it affect (adversely) the tomatoes themselves?

Anyone else having a lot of trouble this year too?

--
Marta
(if you email me directly you need to remove the X )

How large are your plants?

wws

Old 05-06-2003, 01:44 AM
wws

Just an idea.I would take my compost cage apart an make a tent for the
tomatoes.
4'x12'-1/2" hardware cloth.Can always put it back together,just wire.
"Wayfarer" wrote in message
. ..
About 3 feet in cages.

--
Marta
(if you email me directly you need to remove the X )
"wws" wrote in message

gy.com...

Old 05-06-2003, 02:44 AM
B.Server

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 02:46:27 GMT, "Wayfarer"
wrote:

Ok even a full bird feeder isn't working this year - at least well enough!
And I can not afford to spend the $10 a week on feeding them.

They are going after even the slightly orange tomatoes and it is such a huge
flock of White Winged Doves that have taken over I don't even get the
Blackbirds, Jays, Wrens, & Sparrows anymore.

Has anyone tried hanging those moth balls from the tomato cages? Does it
dissuade the birds? Does it affect (adversely) the tomatoes themselves?

Anyone else having a lot of trouble this year too?

For the price of a couple of weeks birdseed, you could buy a lot of
plastic birdnet and some bamboo poles to string it on. If you are
into fancy, use EMT or PVC to build a rectangle to which you wire/lace
the birdnet. 5 rectangles and you have a cage that is easy to move
for harvest or cultivation but should keep the little beggars out.

Elephant Hawk-Moth (caterpillar-nymph-moth) Willi Garden Photos 12 30-11-2011 09:44 PM
Hawk Moth - hawk moth.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 13-06-2007 02:00 PM
Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
Taking Bougainvillea out of "moth balls' Boothbay Gardening 0 11-04-2006 02:29 PM
Will moth balls work with tomatoes? Wayfarer Texas 6 06-06-2003 06:20 AM