GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Will moth balls work with tomatoes? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/30583-will-moth-balls-work-tomatoes.html)

Wayfarer 05-06-2003 09:13 AM

Will moth balls work with tomatoes?

Ok even a full bird feeder isn't working this year - at least well enough!
And I can not afford to spend the $10 a week on feeding them.

They are going after even the slightly orange tomatoes and it is such a huge
flock of White Winged Doves that have taken over I don't even get the
Blackbirds, Jays, Wrens, & Sparrows anymore.

Has anyone tried hanging those moth balls from the tomato cages? Does it
dissuade the birds? Does it affect (adversely) the tomatoes themselves?

Anyone else having a lot of trouble this year too?

--
Marta
(if you email me directly you need to remove the X )

wws 05-06-2003 09:13 AM

Will moth balls work with tomatoes?

"Wayfarer" wrote in message
gy.com...
Ok even a full bird feeder isn't working this year - at least well enough!
And I can not afford to spend the $10 a week on feeding them.

They are going after even the slightly orange tomatoes and it is such a

huge
flock of White Winged Doves that have taken over I don't even get the
Blackbirds, Jays, Wrens, & Sparrows anymore.

Has anyone tried hanging those moth balls from the tomato cages? Does it
dissuade the birds? Does it affect (adversely) the tomatoes themselves?

Anyone else having a lot of trouble this year too?

--
Marta
(if you email me directly you need to remove the X )

How large are your plants?

wws

wws 05-06-2003 09:13 AM

Will moth balls work with tomatoes?

Just an idea.I would take my compost cage apart an make a tent for the
tomatoes.
4'x12'-1/2" hardware cloth.Can always put it back together,just wire.
"Wayfarer" wrote in message
. ..
About 3 feet in cages.

--
Marta
(if you email me directly you need to remove the X )
"wws" wrote in message

gy.com...

B.Server 05-06-2003 09:13 AM

Will moth balls work with tomatoes?

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 02:46:27 GMT, "Wayfarer"
wrote:

Ok even a full bird feeder isn't working this year - at least well enough!
And I can not afford to spend the $10 a week on feeding them.

They are going after even the slightly orange tomatoes and it is such a huge
flock of White Winged Doves that have taken over I don't even get the
Blackbirds, Jays, Wrens, & Sparrows anymore.

Has anyone tried hanging those moth balls from the tomato cages? Does it
dissuade the birds? Does it affect (adversely) the tomatoes themselves?

Anyone else having a lot of trouble this year too?

For the price of a couple of weeks birdseed, you could buy a lot of
plastic birdnet and some bamboo poles to string it on. If you are
into fancy, use EMT or PVC to build a rectangle to which you wire/lace
the birdnet. 5 rectangles and you have a cage that is easy to move
for harvest or cultivation but should keep the little beggars out.

Joe Doe 05-06-2003 07:08 PM

Will moth balls work with tomatoes?

In article om,
"Wayfarer" wrote:

Ok even a full bird feeder isn't working this year - at least well enough!
And I can not afford to spend the $10 a week on feeding them.

They are going after even the slightly orange tomatoes and it is such a huge
flock of White Winged Doves that have taken over I don't even get the
Blackbirds, Jays, Wrens, & Sparrows anymore.

Has anyone tried hanging those moth balls from the tomato cages? Does it
dissuade the birds? Does it affect (adversely) the tomatoes themselves?

Anyone else having a lot of trouble this year too?

--
Marta

The easiest solution is to enclose the fruiting truss in a nylon
stocking. The birds cannot peck through the stocking. This advice is
found on the aggie web site see answer 13 at:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...s/tomato.html.

I do nothing and have had minor to no loss of tomatoes (on one occasion I
saw a bird attack a tomato) but the birds clean me out on figs as I
mentioned in another thread.

Roland

Hombre 06-06-2003 06:20 AM

Will moth balls work with tomatoes?

In article ,
(Joe Doe) wrote:

In article om,
"Wayfarer" wrote:

Ok even a full bird feeder isn't working this year - at least well enough!
And I can not afford to spend the $10 a week on feeding them.

They are going after even the slightly orange tomatoes and it is such a huge
flock of White Winged Doves that have taken over I don't even get the
Blackbirds, Jays, Wrens, & Sparrows anymore.

Has anyone tried hanging those moth balls from the tomato cages? Does it
dissuade the birds? Does it affect (adversely) the tomatoes themselves?

Anyone else having a lot of trouble this year too?

I wouldn't. Think about it, mothballs on cages, rain on mothballs,
mothballs disolve into dirt, tomatoes feed on dirt, you feed on tomatoes
enriched by mothballs.

Can't be good.

Hombre