GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Making Myrtle Crapes Bloom Twice (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/32060-making-myrtle-crapes-bloom-twice.html)

John 15-06-2003 07:56 AM

Making Myrtle Crapes Bloom Twice

I heard that there is a way to coerce Myrtle Crapes to bloom twice in a
single season by pruning. When and how should I prune to achieve an optimal
result - longest bloom possible?

Babberney 16-06-2003 11:08 PM

Making Myrtle Crapes Bloom Twice

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 06:48:42 GMT, "John"
wrote:

I heard that there is a way to coerce Myrtle Crapes to bloom twice in a
single season by pruning. When and how should I prune to achieve an optimal
result - longest bloom possible?

I can't imagine what this is about. My crapes bloom all summer
without any pruning. Some other varieties may bloom longer or shorter
based on genetics, but the big concern is to not prune them right
before they bloom. Thus, it's more of a "how can I avoid preventing
my one long blooming season" rather than "how can I push a second set
of blooms."

I don't think there's anything to this rumor. I've been wrong before,
though--I'll be curious to see any other ideas.

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html

John T. Jarrett 01-07-2003 05:32 PM

Making Myrtle Crapes Bloom Twice

Only real secret I know of is to keep them watered whenever the usual summer
drought gets going -- and then all the way through it. The rich folks with
water sprinklers that water a little every day on the Crapes (and brave
tickets from the City) up in North West Hills always had the most beautiful
ones. However I'm ok with fewer flowers by just watering them when I water
my yard once a week -- but I still have flowers all summer.

John