GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   can anyone id this plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/33996-can-anyone-id-plant.html)

[email protected] 25-06-2003 03:08 AM

can anyone id this plant

Today I went out in the garden and there is a plant growing that is brand new.
It has a straight stem about 10 inches high, no leaves, dark colored, about as
big around as a calla lilly stem. The stem is dark brown or maroon. At the top
of the stem is a group (about 20) of very shiny "berries" which look like very
small bell peppers. The group of berries remind me of a bunch of bananas
(elongated). I cut one open and it had three "seeds" inside". I am riddled
with curiosity and wonder if anyone knows what this could be. I never saw a
plant before with no leaves.

Ora

N. Woolley 25-06-2003 03:08 PM

can anyone id this plant

Are you in Austin, Texas?

Might be a rain lilly seed pod, but the 'banana shape' throws me.

-Nancy

[email protected] 25-06-2003 08:20 PM

can anyone id this plant

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:03:37 GMT, "N. Woolley" wrote:

Are you in Austin, Texas?

Might be a rain lilly seed pod, but the 'banana shape' throws me.

-Nancy

I live in the Bay Area (California). The thing is not banana shaped but the
"pods" are clustered upward (piled on top of each other). Actually it is very
close to another plant and it occurs to me that it might be part of that other
plant which has long dark green leaves (about 8 inches long with yellow veins).
Its leaves are about four inches wide and tend to curl toward the center. I had
a diffenbachia once and it grew a thing which I guess was a seed source.

I looked up rain lillies and the plant is different.

Ora

Victor M. Martinez 25-06-2003 09:20 PM

can anyone id this plant

wrote:
I live in the Bay Area (California). The thing is not banana shaped but the

Why post your questions to austin.gardening then? Just asking... :)

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

[email protected] 25-06-2003 09:44 PM

can anyone id this plant

It was the only gardening group I found.

Ora

dt 25-06-2003 11:09 PM

can anyone id this plant

You might try rec.gardens, it's a national(international?)group. I'll bet
if your server carries austin.gardening, they have rec.gardens.

Dale