Old 28-06-2003, 05:20 PM
B.Server

Default Electric Fences (was: Deer ate my tomatoes)

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 04:19:07 GMT, "Alternate Personality"
wrote:

Maybe fence chargers are safer now than they used to be, but I used one in
the early 80s (bought at Sears) when I was renting a house with a 4-foot
fence that my two large dogs could easily get out of. #1 problem: It packed
a heck of a wallop. Yes, the dogs learned to stay away from the fence, but
the learning process was terrible. I touched it a couple of times myself and
immediately understood why. #2 problem: It killed a squirrel, no doubt in a
pretty awful way. I came home from school one day (was going to UT) and
there it was, stuck in the wire and totally fried. Anyway, unless it was for
some reason a matter of dire necessity, I would never use a fence charger
again. I think they are both dangerous and cruel. My $0.02.

alternate

If you buy a fence charger, you need to get one that is either sized
to the amount (guage and length) of wire you need to charge or
adjustable. If you buy one that is intended to charge 5 or 6 miles of
wire on a ranch and is installed on 60- 100 feet of wire around a yard
or garden, it packs a wallop. That said, I have never seen an animal
wounded or killed by an electric fence in several years of work around
them. Generally dogs pick up on the program with 2 or fewer
"experiences". People often require 3... (unless they pee on the
fence, then once is plenty)
Old 28-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Alternate Personality

Maybe fence chargers are safer now than they used to be, but I used one in
the early 80s (bought at Sears) when I was renting a house with a 4-foot
fence that my two large dogs could easily get out of. #1 problem: It packed
a heck of a wallop. Yes, the dogs learned to stay away from the fence, but
the learning process was terrible. I touched it a couple of times myself and
immediately understood why. #2 problem: It killed a squirrel, no doubt in a
pretty awful way. I came home from school one day (was going to UT) and
there it was, stuck in the wire and totally fried. Anyway, unless it was for
some reason a matter of dire necessity, I would never use a fence charger
again. I think they are both dangerous and cruel. My $0.02.

alternate

B.Server wrote in message
news
On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 16:19:28 GMT, "Roger\"X\""
wrote:

[...]

The one thing I have found that works is an electric fence. Hey!!I'm
not talking something that will hurt a child, or one of your pets.
You can buy a fence charger that is used to keep your pet in your
yard. You only need one wire. . .it should be set just a little
higher than your largest pet, but where the deer will get against it,
while trying to get into your garden.

[...]

Have a good day. .Roger

Both the pets and the kids will learn about an electric fence. Some
of them are nearly as educatable as the deer. Unfortunately, there
are a lot of cities run by folks who figure either that kids (their's
probably) are too dumb to avoid a second zap or that it will warp
their little psyche and turn them all into republicans or something.
Bottom line is that it is a risky bet inside most city limits. (only
slightly less objectionable than my original suggestion; -venison)

Help! The deer ate my homework...errr...roses elfa Roses 9 22-07-2003 06:42 PM
Deer ate my tomatoes Freeda Texas 10 28-06-2003 03:44 AM
AD: Versatile product for repairing Grape vine trellis wires, deer stand supports, fences: Jake's W C&C Fencing Supply Lawns 0 04-04-2003 08:32 PM
AD: Handy fencing tool for tightening/ maintaining wire fences, trellis wires, deer stand wires, et C&C Fencing Supply sci.agriculture 0 06-02-2003 01:45 AM
AD: Versatile product for tightening fences, deer stand guide wires, grape vine trellis', etc - Jak C&C Fencing Supply Lawns 0 06-02-2003 01:35 AM