Old 05-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Steve Coyle

Default Bickering New Yorkers: was Nitrate fertilizers and airport security

Howdy folks.
In regards to this message:

I am a native New Yorker. I have a big mouth, I'm abrasive and I have definite
beliefs in nature and all its myriad delights.

Actually, I'm a also a native New Yorker, came to Austin in the
seventies, as was also my mother born and raised on the upper East
Side of Manhattan. She raised me with the stern warning that having a
big mouth and being abrasive was a quality of taxi drivers and not
necessarily New Yorkers in general. As she used to caution me, watch
your language, you don't want to sound like you're from Brooklyn.

I hope we are providing some entertainment for the Native Texans
in the group. That could be of some small value in these difficult
times.
Time to go enjoy the myriad delights of Nature, or more
specifically get some weeding done in the garden

Steve Coyle
Old 06-07-2003, 07:30 PM
animaux

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 18:13:55 -0500, Libralove wrote:

Actually, I'm a also a native New Yorker, came to Austin in the
seventies, as was also my mother born and raised on the upper East
Side of Manhattan. She raised me with the stern warning that having a
big mouth and being abrasive was a quality of taxi drivers and not
necessarily New Yorkers in general. As she used to caution me, watch
your language, you don't want to sound like you're from Brooklyn.

Geez... what an elitist broad who raised you! :/ I have lots of friends in
Brooklyn. What's the problem with sounding like being from Brooklyn? I love
that Mel Brooks Brooklyn attitude!

Get over yourself!

Exactly. I was raised to be culturally and racially tolerant. I was raised by
people who actually had sex, loved cinema, father was a hair dresser(lost him
ten years ago and still cry when I see his photo), mother is a social worker,
now married to a black man, liberal background, complete with New York attitude
which is superior in friendliness than any Texas born I'd met, to date.

And still, with all of that, I am more than willing to wait or be detained at
the airport security gate for whatever it takes to insure we have a safe flight.
Perhaps if they'd been doing this all along we would not have had to watch the
Twin Towers (which I watched being built because at that time we lived in what
is now called, Tribecca) and lost many thousands of lives.

It takes quite a bit to terrorize a New Yorker, and that event tops them all.
I'm sorry if I feel justified in agreeing with detention at the airport.

Old 07-07-2003, 07:44 AM
Steve Coyle

In regards to this message:
Perhaps if they'd been doing this all along we would not have had to watch the
Twin Towers (which I watched being built because at that time we lived in what
is now called, Tribecca) and lost many thousands of lives.

Wow, Tribeca in the early seventies?? Does French Onion soup at
Magoo's, reggae on the juke box at Barnabus Rex, dancing at Prescott's
or a 4:am egg cream on Canal ring a bell?

Just curious.
Steve Coyle
Old 08-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Steve Coyle

Howdy folks,
In regards to this exchange:
Wow, Tribeca in the early seventies?? Does French Onion soup at
Magoo's, reggae on the juke box at Barnabus Rex, dancing at Prescott's
or a 4:am egg cream on Canal ring a bell?

Just curious.
Steve Coyle

Unless you didn't understand the sentence: "...what is NOW called Tribeca..."
maybe you should remain curious. Don't mind the added "c" which happened as I
typed without seeing my typo. I held the key too long.

The places I mentioned were on going around the time the Towers
were wrapping up. That was a great scene, second only to Liberty Lunch
before the roof went up and the Armadillo here in Austin. For
etymology nuts, it was originally spelled out as TriBeCa, for
'Triangle Below Canal'.
Tourist guides to NYC talk about Tribeca as a neighborhood formed
in the 'eighties' which I guess was when Robert DiNero and the big
wigs started moving in, which put it on the map. The neighborhood was
already in progress long before, ( and being called TriBeCa ) with a
lot of artists and musicians doing loft conversions.
I always thought since it was south of SoHo, ( South of Houston ) it
could have been called 'SoSoHo' but that never cought on.

Of course, the landlords in the seventies did the standard NYC
rip off of renting trashed out industrial spaces on five year leases
to struggling artist types, who would put a lot of sweat into fixing
the places up and then at the end of the lease the landlord would turn
around and sell it as a condo to the well to do . I was in a huge loft
with two other artists, and we had canvases, a stereo, mattresses and
a capuchino machine and virtually nothing else, it was a lot of fun.
I've enjoyed the irony of the Bickering New Yorkers having been
in the same neighborhood, long ago and far away.
I hope everyone who traveled got back from their July Fourth
weekend,safe and sound. ( and without nitrate fertilizers on their
shoes )

Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com
Old 08-07-2003, 09:24 PM
Steve Coyle

Howdy folks,
In regards to this snippet

Also, I do not SOUND like I'm from New York. The fact is, I am from there.
Born in Rapid City, SD and moved to NY at age 3 mos. I'm not ashamed to sound
like I'm from there. I'm not white bread, but thanks for the little Texan in
You driven little lesson.

Actually the idea of ' watching your language' was a reference to
choice of words and usage, and not accent. As the good Dr.Bordie, a
retired UT prof who taught language acquisition, ( and literacy
acquisition , and is a serious gardener here in town ) used to say:
Accent is arbitrary and local and studies have shown that one's accent
is strongly correlated to one's identification of place, which
explains why some folks drop their accent's quickly upon moving to a
new region and other's hang on for a lifetime.

More important than accent, I try to be very aware of language
because aside from the notion of 'right speech' being critical to
'right thinking', words are your little ambassadors you send out into
the world to represent you, and particularly in a technology like we
are using, they are stored and archived and will be available for
browsing, by who knows how many and for who knows how long to come.

I can imagine my grandchgildren long after I'm going pulling files
off the net to get a sense of who I was ( "Hey mom, in real life, was
gramps always such a windbag?" ) So yes, I think one should stay
attuned to how they communicate.

take care,have fun

Old 08-07-2003, 10:11 PM
animaux

I hung out above that scene in Central Park near The Fountain, especially on
Saturday and Sunday when the fashions would be in full gear. Those were the
days. As far as going to clubs, I was a fag hag and hung out in the East
Village, mostly.

My family moved out on eastern Long Island when I was about 18, so I moved there
as well. I still came into the city often, but it was far nicer to look out the
window onto the ocean. My mother still lives there. I don't miss New York,
sans being able to see a show anytime of day or night, and the food. I miss
Italian food. I haven't been able to find much in the way of it here, but I
don't hang out a lot downtown, in Austin.

Did you know Di Nero was a partner with Nobu?

Up till a few years ago my grandmother lived in the same apartment for over 60
years. 514 W. 110 Street, between Broadway and Amsterdam. She paid 600 dollars
a month and was the very last person to finally leave so they could gut the two
bedroom apartment and sell it. It was rent controlled so they had to renew her
lease. Now it's all Coop up there by Columbia.

The city is the greatest I've ever been to and I adore it...from here, in my
little Universe we created.

Victoria