Old 05-07-2003, 11:09 PM
Elliot Richmond

Default Victoria's garden

It's beautiful.

Thanks for sharing with us and other Central Texas Gardeners.

Elliot

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor
Old 06-07-2003, 03:20 AM
Steve Coyle

Very nice garden,
I was curious, there was a brief shot of a structure, that I'm
guessing was a bat habitat. I was wondering if that was indeed a bat
house, have any bats taken up residence?
Also enjoyed the flags. Mine last about five or six months, but I
enjoy the process as they age.

Take care,
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com
Old 06-07-2003, 04:08 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Dang, I missed it! I was out building a 4' tall scratching post.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 06-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Terry Horton

Home tonight from Fredericksburg and found our Time-Warner DVR had
erased every single recording from its hard drive! Including today's
CTG Gggrrrrrr........ Will try for the Thursday rerun.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:44 PM
animaux

I believe it will be on again, Wednesday morning at 9 or 9:30a...and it may be
KLRU2, but check. I do know it's on again Wednesday morning.

I was taken by the fact I had to also provide a brief interview. I didn't even
comb my hair, put on a face, dress to be taped or anything. They were here for
about three hours.

We were watching our neighbors dog as they vacationed for a few weeks. She,
Barnie the dog, was also on the show! Her "parents" loved it!

Victoria

Old 06-07-2003, 06:44 PM
animaux

My thanks to you all who have taught me how to garden in Texas. Boy, it sure
was a ton of mistakes. Now I have a prairie garden and it is so much more
enjoyable. Just this morning I saw a skink out there.

Old 06-07-2003, 06:44 PM
animaux

Yes, there is a large bat house on a 15 foot pole. To be perfectly honest, I
don't know if any bats have taken up residence. We live almost straight east of
the McNeil bridge, where the second largest urban bat colonies lives. They
predict there are about a million bats under that bridge. We do lay in the pool
at dusk and watch them fly over by the many thousands on their way east for the
night. I have seen some roosting in our mesquite tree near the street light
which harbors thousands of delicious moths for them to eat. I'll have to take a
flashlight out there to see if anyone has moved in. It's there for them.
Eventually they'll find it.

The flags are my connection to the Tibetan people in exile. Particularly H.H.
The Dalai Lama. I may fly up to NY in September to see him at a rather large
gathering. I wish I had the money to sponsor something for us, here, in Texas.
A place for him to come and teach. Oh, chills run down my arms just thinking of
that. I have many sets of flags back there in all different conditions! I'm
not all that great at compassion for others and I'm not that good at keeping my
heart covered. I come off tough, but that's usually because I'm afraid if the
shell cracks, all the mush will come oozing out.

As they say in Deer Hunter, "...THIS, is this..."

Victoria

Old 07-07-2003, 04:12 AM
Steve Coyle

Howdy folks,
In regards to this snippet:

Yes, there is a large bat house on a 15 foot pole. To be perfectly honest, I
don't know if any bats have taken up residence.

We are hoping to attract bats, and I wondered if anyone had luck
with the Bat houses, and if there was something else that needed to be
done besides putting up the house to attract them.

The flags are my connection to the Tibetan people in exile. Particularly H.H.
The Dalai Lama. I may fly up to NY in September to see him at a rather large
gathering. I wish I had the money to sponsor something for us, here, in Texas.
A place for him to come and teach. Oh, chills run down my arms just thinking of
that. I have many sets of flags back there in all different conditions! I'm
not all that great at compassion for others and I'm not that good at keeping my
heart covered. I come off tough, but that's usually because I'm afraid if the
shell cracks, all the mush will come oozing out.

As they say in Deer Hunter, "...THIS, is this..."

Victoria

The Dalai Lama, or as I like to think of him, 'the big smiling
dude" is great.
I was really struck by something he said when they asked him for
his reactions about the Buddhist statues being blown up by the
Taliban.
He said something like "While I don't think they should be blowing
things up it's important to remember they are just statues." Then he
gets his big smile," ...and besides the people in that area are very
poor, they could be getting some money from tourists if they leave the
statues alone."

If your interested in helping the Tibeten exiles, there are ways
to sponser refugees, it doesn't take all that much to help out with
living quarters and education for those living in the exile
communities set up in India. I wore my 'Tibeten Relocation:Project
Austin' shirt to work one day and the owner of the Nursery, ( Who
shall remain nameless) asked me if the shirt was for a new Chinese
restaurant.

Speaking of Tibetens, I'm designing a meditation garden. An eight
by eight screened in pavillion in a wooded grove. I've been playing
with plant choices, and was thinking I would really like foliage
plants that had a nice rustling sound in the breeze. Kind of like the
wind and rustling sound effects to' Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' in
the Bamboo forest scene, but without all the Bamboo.

Having a lot of fun with it.
Ya'll take care.

Old 07-07-2003, 03:45 PM
N. Woolley

I'll tie your message all together -

The best sound of 'rustling leaves' I've heard is standing under the
bats emerging from Bracken Cave. Bracken Cave is just outside of San
Antonio and is the home of the largest bat colony in the world. The
sound of all those bat wings flapping is amazing to say the least. You
might have a hard time attracting that many to your yard though. ;-)

-Nancy

Old 08-07-2003, 03:20 AM
animaux

On 7 Jul 2003 17:46:48 -0700, (Steve Coyle) wrote:

For folks who missed the show on Victoria's garden, KLRU's web site
runs a weekly download of the 'garden of the week' at:

http://www.klru.org/ctg/gardenomonth/index.asp

They only keep it up for a week until the next show.

I thought Victoria might want to download it for a keepsake.

Hey, thanks! I didn't know about that. Now, how do I download it and in what
format? I am computer dumb. I can see if Mark can do it. He's a Dellionite,
he should know.

V-

Oh, and Steve, your mother failed, I could hear duh New Yawk, so THERE!

(sticking tongue out)!

Old 08-07-2003, 04:45 AM
Joe Doe

In article ,
wrote:

On 7 Jul 2003 17:46:48 -0700,
(Steve Coyle) wrote:

For folks who missed the show on Victoria's garden, KLRU's web site
runs a weekly download of the 'garden of the week' at:

http://www.klru.org/ctg/gardenomonth/index.asp

They only keep it up for a week until the next show.

I thought Victoria might want to download it for a keepsake.

Hey, thanks! I didn't know about that. Now, how do I download it and in what
format? I am computer dumb. I can see if Mark can do it. He's a Dellionite,
he should know.

V-

I record everything on PBS from 9-10.30 AM and from 11.30 to 4 on
Saturdays on my computer - this ends up being almost the only TV I watch
(if I get around to ever watching it). It is not in the highest possible
format - it is MPEG1 at about 1500 Mbits and 352x240 resolution (I do this
to conserve space). I then edit down footage I want from cooking shows or
This Old House whenever I get the urge. The MPEG 1 format will allow you
to create VCD copies on CD that will play in almost any DVD player if you
want to distribute it. If you do not like the quality of what you get I
can send you an edited version of CTG with only your segment or the whole
show. My own quality is not the best - I do not have cable and have off
the air reception on my computer and so the input quality is so so.
Should you want a copy e-mail me at .

Roland