Old 08-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Scott Harper

Default Update - Silverado Sage + Red Barn

The folks at Red Barn say they have never heard of a Silverado Sage
growing beyond its 4x4 size. They said that when I bought these plants
(3-4 years ago) that Silverado was a brand new cultivar, and may not
have been very pure. Also, the same distributor that brings them
Silverado handles other full sized varieties, so mislabeling is a
definite possibility.

They've offered to "swap" me out for new plants. I told them I didn't
still have my original receipt, but I did still have the (1 gal)
containers. So they offered to give me 4 new 1 gallon plants. I told
them I was a little disappointed to have to start over with such a small
plant, and they said they'd credit the price of the 1 gal plants against
3 gal plants if I would rather do that.

The only big issue is that I have to bring them the old plants to swap
with. These things are way too big for me to dig out and transplant in
such a way that they'd survive. But they said it doesn't matter, just
yank them out (and let them die) -- they just need something to use for
proof of exchange... Seems like an awful waste...

scott
Old 08-07-2003, 11:36 PM
David Wright

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:18:27 GMT, c (Scott
Harper) wrote:

Actually, other people in this newsgroup asked me to let them know what
happened after I talked to Red Barn.
scott

It's still your decision. Will you let us know?

David

Old 09-07-2003, 02:08 PM
animaux

It would be a lot better for you and the plants if you could manage to wait till
the fall. It does seem such a waste. Maybe then, you can mention it here again
and either another person or people would be interested in paying what you'd pay
for plants of that size so you can replace them with larger plants.

I find it pretty cheesy of Red Barn to pass the buck to the vendor. In the
fall, I'd be interested in the plants, as would others, I'm sure.

That way you get help to grunt them out, they survive, you get a bit more than
just replacement with baby plants.

Old 09-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Steve Coyle

Howdy folks,
In regards to the Sage mix up: Retail outlets are only as
dependable as their wholesale vendors. What seperates a reliable
Nursery from one that sells mislabeled plants, is the care with which
they chose and oversee the vendors stock. I had a lot of problems with
one major supplier of six packs who would stick 'Ichiban Eggplant'
tags in Italian standard eggplants on a regular basis. That was an
easy one to catch because the Ichiban have a dark vein in their leaves
that the Italian did not. Whether that was unintentional or they were
simply filling orders. I don't know, but I learned to stay away from
them.
If there are any folks who work in retail on the list, or run
landscaping businesses, I'm going to shamelessly plug two growers of
who I think are the best wholesale operations in Central Texas:
Gabriel Valley Farms up in Georgetown owned by Sam and Cathy
Slaughter, who I've dealt with for some years and are meticulous in
their controls and getting out good product. The second is Greenman,
out near New Sweden. ( Neither do retail sales, they are Business to
Business enterprises.)
The common denominator between Greenman and Gabriel Valley is they
are serious plant people who make sure they grow good stock, they know
their plants and make sure they are accurately labeled.

As far as plant height descriptions, I'm a lot more comfortable
when a range of possible heights are given. It's unrealistic with
plants, given genetic variability of seeds and more importantly with
asexually propagated plants, variability in conditions, to expect them
to grow to a uniform height designated by a single measurement.

take care,
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com