Old 06-03-2003, 04:03 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Default Tomato cages ( was Best place to buy tomato plants, etc.)

Karen wrote:
Thank you, Victor, for introducing a topic I was wondering about. I
bought those round tomato cages last year and my tomato plants were a
little too robust for them. What do the NG cages look like?

They are made of a much thicker wire than the regular tomato cages. They are
also perfectly round, as opposed to top-heavy like the regular cages. This
should make them much more stable. I lost count of how many times my tomatos
were blown to the ground by the wind (and the weight of the fruit!) even
though I had staked the cages with steel rods for extra-stability.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 07-03-2003, 12:34 AM
Babberney

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 01:50:25 GMT, Karen wrote:

(Victor M. Martinez) wrote in
:
They do have great plants
though and those really cool and sturdy, albeit expensive tomato
cages.

Thank you, Victor, for introducing a topic I was wondering about. I
bought those round tomato cages last year and my tomato plants were a
little too robust for them. What do the NG cages look like?

Karen

You can buy a roll of fencing wire and make your own pretty easily. I
even saw the guy on the new Victory Garden pull it off. You can get
4' or 5' and make them as large (diameter-wise) as you wish. I think
the lowe's depots of the world have fairly small rolls pretty cheap,
but if not I'm sure you could get them at callahans.

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html
Old 07-03-2003, 01:35 AM
WSZsr

You need openings of around 6" to be able to reach in and grab the tomaters
as they ripen. The Lowes fencing material has much smaller openings. Still
looking for fencing with about 6" openings. Any ideas?

The tomato cages at Natural Gardener are about $26.00 each. Nice but
expensive.

news:20181ECAEEBEF015.164C1624DE1815AD.4248271E8D5 ...

Old 07-03-2003, 02:14 AM
groober

.. .
: "Babberney" wrote in message
: news:20181ECAEEBEF015.164C1624DE1815AD.4248271E8D5 ...
: On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 01:50:25 GMT, Karen wrote:
:
: (Victor M. Martinez) wrote in
: :
[...]

For economical tomato cages that will stand up to anything, use fence
panels. Get them at the wire place just north/west of the original
Callahans. They're big (8'x16' ?) but you can borrow bolt cutters to snip
them into more pick-up friendly size. Don't try this in a Geo Metro....

Old 07-03-2003, 05:21 AM
Jay Bird

I resorted to REMESH ( a concrete reinforcement) for big openings. It
wasn't too bad a price either. Its major drawback was it rusts and can get
on your hands. If you can get big opening fencing then go for it.

.. .

Old 11-03-2003, 03:09 PM
Hombre

They also carry the normal cylindrical wire kind in three sizes. I don't
remember paying over 2-3 dollars for the largest ones.

Hombre