Old 06-03-2003, 03:39 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Tropical Storm Allison was good to Houston...

in the sense that the Federal buyout program has and will continue to
bring into the county large numbers of open space. FEMA has a program
,HMGP (Hazard Mitigation Grant Program), that allows flood control
districts to buy homes to reduce future flood damage. The land the
homes are on must be forever dedicated and maintained as open space.
http://www.fema.gov/fima/hmgp/ Some of the HMGP guidelines that define
standards and acceptable uses for open space and appeal to
conservation groups allow for wetland restoration, wildlife refuges,
bird sanctuaries, habitats, and community gardens/farms. The Brownwood
subdivision in Baytown, TX was turned into a huge nature refuge,
http://www.enn.com/features/1999/12/...ytown_7399.asp and
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/storm2001/982409. Civic
associations, special-interest groups, private enterprise and
individuals apply to take over management of the land, persuant to
rules and regulations of FEMA. Once flooded, these lands are returned
to a state of accomodating community needs and thus, increase the
quality of life in that community. Thats not bad for a storm having
passed
through. Please be sure to see
http://www.awra.org/state/tx/acrobat/ivey.pdf to get the real feel for
the extensiveness of this storm so that you may understand what is
happening now as a result of it. =

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html
Old 06-03-2003, 06:55 AM
Terry Horton

On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 21:49:02 -0600, J Kolenovsky
wrote:

Please be sure to see
http://www.awra.org/state/tx/acrobat/ivey.pdf to get the real feel for
the extensiveness of this storm so that you may understand what is
happening now as a result of it.

Unbelievable. The nickname for Edwin Marsh Rice University after a big
rain was "Edwin Rice Marsh U" (Valhalla, the low-lying grad student
pub, was presumably a swimming pool after Allison). I don't recall
flooding anywhere near as bad as this.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:51 PM
Marc Stephenson

In article ,
J Kolenovsky wrote:
bird sanctuaries, habitats, and community gardens/farms. The Brownwood
subdivision in Baytown, TX was turned into a huge nature refuge,
http://www.enn.com/features/1999/12/...ytown_7399.asp and
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/storm2001/982409. ...

Not this has much to do with austin.gardening... but
this might give people the impression that the Brownwood situation
had something to do with Tropical Storm Allison. I lived in Baytown
from 1960-1978 and my parents lived there until 1996 or so. There's
an aerial photo map on my office wall showing the houses and streets
of Baytown, including Brownwood, from 1973. I was there for the 25"
rains from Claudette in 1979.

It's nice that something good eventually happened in Brownwood, but it wasn't
because of Allison.

(If anybody goes to the Baytown Nature Center (which doesn't have a "center"
facility from what I can tell) on the site of the former Brownwood subdivision,
be sure to take plenty of effective mosquito repellant.)
--
Marc Stephenson IBM Server Group - Austin,TX
T/L: 678-3189
Old 07-03-2003, 01:34 PM
J Kolenovsky

Marc Stephenson wrote:

To folks who don't know when Allison occurred, it was 2001.

I got carried away with my text because of open space coming into
inventory and the surge of interest in habitats in Harris County. And
that's a good thing - the open space, I mean. =

Marc Stephenson wrote:
=

In article ,
J Kolenovsky wrote:
bird sanctuaries, habitats, and community gardens/farms. The

Brownwood
subdivision in Baytown, TX was turned into a huge nature refuge,

http://www.enn.com/features/1999/12/...ytown_7399.asp

(this article is date-stamped 1999)

and

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/storm2001/982409. ...

(this article alludes to events 18 years prior)
=

Not this has much to do with austin.gardening... but

Not directly but Harris Countians are getting into habitats which is
something Travis, Williamson and Hays counties ahve been into for a
long
time. We are coming around and sharing that fact.

this might give people the impression that the Brownwood situation
had something to do with Tropical Storm Allison.

No, readers. It did not.

I lived in Baytown
from 1960-1978 and my parents lived there until 1996 or so. There's
an aerial photo map on my office wall showing the houses and streets
of Baytown, including Brownwood, from 1973. I was there for the 25"
rains from Claudette in 1979.
=

It's nice that something good eventually happened in Brownwood, but

it wasn't
because of Allison.

This is in the article from the
URL:http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/storm2001/982409

"The smattering of proposed buyouts in the Houston area of homeowners
flooded during last month's Tropical Storm Allison pales in comparison
the trauma of 18 years ago". =

=

(If anybody goes to the Baytown Nature Center (which doesn't have a

"center"
facility from what I can tell)

HGMP only allows open air pavillions and this is referred to as a
center. Bathrooms are the only enclosed structures allowed on
mitigated
land.

on the site of the former Brownwood subdivision,
be sure to take plenty of effective mosquito repellant.)

Amen, Gulf Coast Prairie and Marsh land. =

-- =

Old 15-03-2003, 06:38 AM
Smokehouse Rules

wrote:

Please be sure to see
http://www.awra.org/state/tx/acrobat/ivey.pdf to get the real feel for
the extensiveness of this storm so that you may understand what is
happening now as a result of it.

Unbelievable. The nickname for Edwin Marsh Rice University after a big
rain was "Edwin Rice Marsh U" (Valhalla, the low-lying grad student
pub, was presumably a swimming pool after Allison). I don't recall
flooding anywhere near as bad as this.

Um, would that be "William Marsh Rice University?"

I know where that is, but I'm not sure about the one you mentioned. . .

Wiessmen Rule

Old 15-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Terry Horton

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 00:26:04 -0600, "Smokehouse Rules"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Please be sure to see
http://www.awra.org/state/tx/acrobat/ivey.pdf to get the real feel for
the extensiveness of this storm so that you may understand what is
happening now as a result of it.

Unbelievable. The nickname for Edwin Marsh Rice University after a big
rain was "Edwin Rice Marsh U" (Valhalla, the low-lying grad student
pub, was presumably a swimming pool after Allison). I don't recall
flooding anywhere near as bad as this.

Um, would that be "William Marsh Rice University?"

A GSA thing. Edwin sports garish paint (or is that garfish?). Unless
stolen or rotted away look for him swimming under the old chemistry
building.

Wiessmen Rule

A cheerful horde rivaling GSA for ill-fitting casual wear.