Old 20-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Dave-tx

Default splitting bark on pecan trees - cause for concern?

I've got a question about my pecan trees - the bark around the
trunks is splitting and in some spots falling off. The trees
are about 5 years old and growing quite quickly right now, so
I was assuming that was just happening as a result of the trunk
diameters changing quickly.

Is this normal for this type of tree? My ashes and live oaks
haven't done this, so I figured I oughtta ask some of the more
experienced gardeners around here.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 21-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Babberney

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:43:48 -0500, Dave-tx
wrote:

I've got a question about my pecan trees - the bark around the
trunks is splitting and in some spots falling off. The trees
are about 5 years old and growing quite quickly right now, so
I was assuming that was just happening as a result of the trunk
diameters changing quickly.

Is this normal for this type of tree? My ashes and live oaks
haven't done this, so I figured I oughtta ask some of the more
experienced gardeners around here.

Thanks,
Dave

After this happens, do you see more bark underneath or smooth wood?
If it's the former, no problem (it's like blowing up a balloon
halfway, then taping a strip of paper around it, then inflating
more--the paper will tear and fall off. The tree is always doing
this). If it's the latter, you may have a problem, or you may be
seeing the results of a mechanical injury (i.e., someone whacked it
with a car, bat, rock, etc.)

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html
Old 21-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Dave-tx

wrote:

[...]

It looks like more bark, although much lighter in color - probably
due to the "newness". I've classified my situation as "No Problem,
Rapid Growth".

Someone sent me this webpage, which has an interesting table of
symptoms and afflictions that affect pecan trees:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/fruit/pecan1.html

Thanks,
Dave