GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Moringa in Austin (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/42518-moringa-austin.html)

Chris 08-09-2003 07:22 PM

Moringa in Austin

I just posted a couple of Pic's in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
showing it's size and first flower buds.

Chris in Arid Austin

dt 08-09-2003 11:04 PM

Moringa in Austin

Chris wrote:

I just posted a couple of Pic's in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
showing it's size and first flower buds.

Chris in Arid Austin

Chris, would you mind posting those again? For some reason, my server
didn't seem to get it, and Google doesn't seem to search binaries.

Thanks.

Dale

Chris 11-09-2003 02:33 AM

Moringa in Austin

Reposted in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Gae Xavier 13-09-2003 05:32 AM

Moringa in Austin

Chris,

It looks very healthy, if not a bit lanky. Congrats on getting it up to
that size! I am impressed.

I think you are supposed to trim the primary tip to 1-1.5 meters high to
make it less lanky and more full according to the new package of seed I
just got. I am going to try them again while it is still hot to get
germination on the bush type and the oleifera type. I only had success
with the African which have 100% germination, while the other have
90-80% or less.

What do you plan to do for the winter with that Poplar tree sized
Moringa? ;-)

I mentioned to the man at Taj Grocers that I had 3 Moringas and he said
they are very expensive and there are two different flavors of
drumsticks (pods) from two different type trees. He was bit amazed that
I had some since they do freeze here if not brought in and they are very
rare in Austin.

I also have a huge curry leaf plant too that I want to take a picture of
and a caper bush that I will put up on my URL when I get a chance.

I like unusual plants and ones that you cannot find here. I am a weird
edible plant person. I love all sorts of international cooking and like
to grow the unusual exotic (foreign) ingredients.

I can't wait to make some Sambhar soup with my Moringa pods.

I am also going to grow some some Hibiscus sabdariffa "Florida
Cranberry" for drinks and sauces, Roselle/Jamaican Sorrel, some Lablab
purpureus, 'Red Fortune' vine for the edible pods, and some Yard Long
bean mix which love hot and humid.

Best to You -- Gae

Chris 13-09-2003 05:42 PM

Moringa in Austin

Hi Gae,

I won't do anything when the freeze comes. My philosophy is if it
can't survive an average Winter in Austin I don't need to be growing it.
The 3+ inches of mulch keeps the roots of most things well protected.
If we ever get another Winter like '83 & '89 I'll throw a mound of extra
mulch on the roots and hope for the best.

I was more interested in seeing them bloom than having a bushy plant.
If it survives this Winter it'll be plenty bushy next Spring.

Regards
Chris