Old 08-09-2003, 08:44 PM
DScott

Default tree stump removal

We've got several trees in our neighborhood that seem to perpetually seed
our back yard. We always have little saplings starting up all over the
place. I've recently had a bunch of the larger ones cut down and hauled
away. Now, how do I keep them from re-sprouting from the stumps. I know that
diesel fuel suffocates them, but I'm looking for something that is effective
and more environmentally friendly. Help!
Dianne in Austin

Old 09-09-2003, 05:35 AM
Babberney

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 18:35:20 GMT, "DScott"
wrote:

We've got several trees in our neighborhood that seem to perpetually seed
our back yard. We always have little saplings starting up all over the
place. I've recently had a bunch of the larger ones cut down and hauled
away. Now, how do I keep them from re-sprouting from the stumps. I know that
diesel fuel suffocates them, but I'm looking for something that is effective
and more environmentally friendly. Help!
Dianne in Austin

You can have them ground below grade (or rent a stump grinder).
That's pretty effective, though sometimes you will see sprouts at the
edges of the grinding site (from the ends of roots). Hackberry trees
are particularly persistent.

I'm not big on chemicals (and I don't want to debate pros and cons of
roundup) but, as a free individual, you may decide to apply
brush-b-gone or similar product to the first sprouts in hope s that
you'll get no more. For future reference, I've also heard that
ronund-up applied directly to the stump immediately after cutting will
do the trick.

good luck,

keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/

Old 09-09-2003, 06:24 AM
DScott

They vary in size from 2" diameter to about 4' diameter. jfrost sent me a
link to the dirtdoctor.com. The site recommends either drilling & filling
holes in the stumps with sweets (sugar, molaasses, jams, buttermilk, etc) &
covering with a wet mulch, or using a stump grinder. I'll probably take a
mixed approach, dependent on the size of the stump. If you've got another
idea, I'd still like to hear it.
Dianne in Austin

Old 09-09-2003, 02:22 PM
animaux

I don't like glyphosate, it scares me. That's what's in Round Up. Since it
only works through foliage, I don't know how well it would do for the stump.
Hackberry trees are such an incredible pain in the ass. We have one, but it's
very large and shades the west side of the house. It is a very prolific tree,
to say the least.

Drilling the holes is a good thing to try if you have the patience. Instead of
sugar, I would say for this one time only to use a synthetic bag of the cheapest
and highest nitrogen fertilizer they sell. Probably Walmart brand, the higher
the first number in the ratio, the better.

Drill as large holes as you can. Then put the fertilizer packed into the holes,
cover the stumps with clear heavy plastic and occasionally water it and add more
of the nitrogen fertilizer. Eventually, the stump will die out.

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 04:16:58 GMT, "DScott" opined:

Old 09-09-2003, 03:02 PM

Cut it off to 30" & attach a small table top or seat, etc.
and plant something around the base. It's easier
to hide them:-)

Gene

&

Old 09-09-2003, 06:32 PM
animaux

Or that too! Actually, I "break" for tree stumps in peoples' garbage! One day
Mark is going to kill me over a dumpster dive. I have these stumps all over
the garden. They attract insects and give something for the lizards to do, hide
in or eat insects out of. Birds like them too.

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 07:46:24 -0500, opined:

Cut it off to 30" & attach a small table top or seat, etc.
and plant something around the base. It's easier
to hide them:-)

Gene

.. .

Old 10-09-2003, 07:12 PM
John T. Jarrett

If it is a nastier species (ones I've had problems with included Wax
Leafs and Cigar Trees) not even used motor oil in drilled holes will
kill them from my experience.

What DID work was building a small charcoal fire on top of them. You
can let it burn out at night and start again the next morning. After a
day or two, the stump gets dry enough it starts making coals and
burning further down by itself -- you just have to sweep the ashes off
every couple hours. I got down about 6" into the ground on a 20" stump
and nothing sprouted up.

Used the same method on some 6" stumps but you use so few coals you
have to keep an eye on it more or they burn off or fall off or...

I did it 6" from a brick wall and right up next to a wood fence. The
heat doesn't go far horizontally and if you don't use a ton of lighter
fluid, the flame doesn't have to get very high at the beginning
either.

This worked when no poisons did. And is technically better for the
soil.

John

Whatever disclaimers -- you should be careful and if you burn down
your house or your fence, don't blame me! :) Good Luck.

If it is big enough (say 10" plus)

Old 10-09-2003, 10:23 PM
Rusty Mase

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:10:37 -0500, "John T. Jarrett"
wrote:

What DID work was building a small charcoal fire on top of them.

A variant of this is to use a metal container with the bottom removed
and air holes added to the bottom of the sides. I used a five-gallon
metal paint can for several stumps in the 8-10" diameter range and it
worked - just slowly. You can use a piece of sheet metal to partially
cover the top of the metal container to control the rate of burn.

Rusty Mase
Old 11-09-2003, 03:22 PM
animaux

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:51:20 -0500, Rusty Mase opined:

wrote:

What DID work was building a small charcoal fire on top of them.

A variant of this is to use a metal container with the bottom removed
and air holes added to the bottom of the sides. I used a five-gallon
metal paint can for several stumps in the 8-10" diameter range and it
worked - just slowly. You can use a piece of sheet metal to partially
cover the top of the metal container to control the rate of burn.

Rusty Mase

How do you get the fire started? This sounds like a good idea.

Tree Stump Removal Michael_Garden Gardening 7 20-06-2012 04:12 PM
Tree Stump Removal Alan Smith United Kingdom 8 29-09-2008 09:32 PM
Stump Removal Wanda Too Australia 14 30-01-2004 07:18 AM
tree stump removal Giggles Gardening 6 30-09-2003 05:02 AM
Stump removal Frank K. Lawns 6 14-09-2003 03:32 PM