Old 18-10-2003, 06:02 AM
ddaquaria

Default Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

I have already tried the standard home depots and lowes but did not see any
peat moss there that did not have additives. I am specifically looking for
white peat moss, but I will settle for "clean" peatmoss with no additives of
any type (just in a bale or bag).

Thanks in advance!

big D
--
Remove the word ³REMOVE² to reply to me.

Check out my fish site @
http://homepage.mac.com/ddaquaria/ddaquaria/

Or just a whole lot of macro and other aquarium pictures @
http://homepage.mac.com/ddaquaria/

Old 18-10-2003, 10:32 PM
B.Server

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 03:57:13 GMT, ddaquaria
wrote:

I have already tried the standard home depots and lowes but did not see any
peat moss there that did not have additives. I am specifically looking for
white peat moss, but I will settle for "clean" peatmoss with no additives of
any type (just in a bale or bag).

Thanks in advance!

big D

Having never encountered a "white" peat bog, it is difficult to image
"white" peat moss. Most garden stores have baled Canadian sphagnum
moss, AKA peat moss. The last I bought was at Marbridge Farm, FWIW.
Old 19-10-2003, 03:32 AM
animaux

What are you trying to accomplish using peat moss? It is a very useful tool in
containers, but in our soils is completely useless. It does not lower pH, it
has absolutely no living biota, takes over 100 years to recharge in the bogs,
which are being depleted, and generally has nothing to add.

Now, if you are using un-milled sphagnum for orchids, that is different. This
plant likes that media. In the garden, it is useless and for the same money you
can buy compost which does a hundred times more to help plants in soil.

Containers, peat moss is okay, but I prefer not to use it in the garden.

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 03:57:13 GMT, ddaquaria opined:

Old 20-10-2003, 02:02 AM
J Kolenovsky

What were the"additives?".

JK
ddaquaria wrote:
=

I have already tried the standard home depots and lowes but did not see=

any
peat moss there that did not have additives. I am specifically looking=

for
white peat moss, but I will settle for "clean" peatmoss with no additiv=

es of
any type (just in a bale or bag).
=

Thanks in advance!
=

big D
--
Remove the word =B3REMOVE=B2 to reply to me.
=

Check out my fish site @
http://homepage.mac.com/ddaquaria/ddaquaria/
=

Or just a whole lot of macro and other aquarium pictures @
http://homepage.mac.com/ddaquaria/

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 20-10-2003, 03:46 AM
Victor Martinez

animaux wrote:
How do you do that? IN a tank? We have a 150 gallon aquarium and I couldn't
imagine putting peat moss in there! Is this something special? We collect
tetras. My favorites are the black neons.

People who want very soft, acidic water usually put some form of peat
moss in a sump or a canister filter. Some fish, like discus and neon
tetras need those specific conditions to breed.
I'd rather not go through all that trouble and so I keep fish that do ok
in the water that comes out of my tap.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 20-10-2003, 03:02 PM
animaux

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 01:37:08 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

animaux wrote:
How do you do that? IN a tank? We have a 150 gallon aquarium and I couldn't
imagine putting peat moss in there! Is this something special? We collect
tetras. My favorites are the black neons.

People who want very soft, acidic water usually put some form of peat
moss in a sump or a canister filter. Some fish, like discus and neon
tetras need those specific conditions to breed.
I'd rather not go through all that trouble and so I keep fish that do ok
in the water that comes out of my tap.

Ah. We don't have canister filtration. We have something that hangs off the
back. It pumps 500 gallons an hour. All the air pumps are in the garage. We
drilled holes in the wall and put the tubes through. Fortunately, the tank was
up against the wall where we could do that. I have not found any air pump which
doesn't make a ton of noise. Now, we hear nothing.

As for fish, we bought fish we were pretty sure wouldn't breed, so we're on the
other end of the spectrum. To use fish which require a low pH is futile. We'd
have to treat the tank constantly to maintain a low level pH. Our water is
about 7.6 - 7.8 and the fish are thriving.

Old 20-10-2003, 03:02 PM
animaux

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 02:36:27 GMT, ddaquaria opined:

in article , Victor Martinez at
wrote on 10/19/03 8:37 PM:

animaux wrote:
How do you do that? IN a tank? We have a 150 gallon aquarium and I couldn't
imagine putting peat moss in there! Is this something special? We collect
tetras. My favorites are the black neons.

People who want very soft, acidic water usually put some form of peat
moss in a sump or a canister filter. Some fish, like discus and neon
tetras need those specific conditions to breed.
I'd rather not go through all that trouble and so I keep fish that do ok
in the water that comes out of my tap.

You can go the route that Victor spoke of and place it in your filter. I
prefer the route of placing it in my RO water storage and only affect the
tank when I do water changes. It is not something most fish keepers will do
with their tanks. Come to the forum at www.aquabotanic.com for more
information or the newsgroup for aquarium plants - but the detail we could
get into does not below in this newsgroup.

big D

Nice plants on that site. I need to order those corkscrew grasslike plants. I
need some tall plants to cover the undergravel filter tubes. Thanks for the
link.

victoria
Old 21-10-2003, 12:43 AM
Victor Martinez

animaux wrote:
Nice plants on that site. I need to order those corkscrew grasslike plants. I
need some tall plants to cover the undergravel filter tubes. Thanks for the
link.

Bear in mind that many aquatic plants require a fair ammount of light,
much more than the standard aquarium bulbs provide.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 21-10-2003, 04:22 AM
big D

Victor Martinez wrote in message ...
animaux wrote:
Nice plants on that site. I need to order those corkscrew grasslike plants. I
need some tall plants to cover the undergravel filter tubes. Thanks for the
link.

Bear in mind that many aquatic plants require a fair ammount of light,
much more than the standard aquarium bulbs provide.

http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.c...2&f=3996060812

Here is a link for more information regarding lights and other
equipment.

Yes, certain plants do need more light than others, but using the
"fair amount" means absolutely nothing. A person's tank depends on
light, fish load, plant type, CO2 usage, and fert usage (hopefully I'm
not leaving anything out) Even when I had a 125 gallon african tank
lit only with 2-36" bulbs, I was able to grow anubias and vals. Sorry
Victor, but I can't fully agree with you and I am suprised you would
make the above statement without being more specific.
Old 21-10-2003, 05:23 AM
animaux

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:33:33 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

animaux wrote:
Nice plants on that site. I need to order those corkscrew grasslike plants. I
need some tall plants to cover the undergravel filter tubes. Thanks for the
link.

Bear in mind that many aquatic plants require a fair ammount of light,
much more than the standard aquarium bulbs provide.

Okay, so what would you classify a 4 foot tube? Is that low light in a 24 inch
deep tank? We were thinking of buying some in tank lighting for night drama!
Do those in tank uplights present any measure of light for plants, or are they
mostly decorative?