Old 31-10-2003, 11:22 PM
animaux

Default Ripped out the Nandina domestica

It took me exactly two, eight hour days, surgical precision, deep digging,
gallons of water to drink and finally, they are out. I planted the dwarf
yaupons today. I have to buy a few more. I didn't realize how much room those
N.domestica actually took up.

Next, wax leaf ligustrum.

I was wondering about them. If I hack them to the ground and continue to do
that over and over, will they eventually die, or do I have to dig them out, too?
I really don't want to dig them out if I can avoid it. With the nandina I had
to dig because they spread by runners.

Victoria
Old 01-11-2003, 07:32 AM
cat daddy

"animaux" wrote in message
It took me exactly two, eight hour days, surgical precision, deep digging,
gallons of water to drink and finally, they are out. I planted the dwarf
yaupons today. I have to buy a few more. I didn't realize how much room

those
N.domestica actually took up.

Next, wax leaf ligustrum.

I was wondering about them. If I hack them to the ground and continue to

do
that over and over, will they eventually die, or do I have to dig them

out, too?
I really don't want to dig them out if I can avoid it. With the nandina I

had
to dig because they spread by runners.

Shiva H. Vishnu, what's wrong with the wax leaf and the heavenly bamboo? I
was going to move the volunteer waxies into where some photinias and crepes
have been malingering. My nandina was the only thing living other than the
hackberries when I bought this place.......... {:-/

Old 01-11-2003, 02:22 PM
animaux

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 01:23:15 -0600, "cat daddy" opined:

Shiva H. Vishnu, what's wrong with the wax leaf and the heavenly bamboo? I
was going to move the volunteer waxies into where some photinias and crepes
have been malingering. My nandina was the only thing living other than the
hackberries when I bought this place.......... {:-/

These plants are both on the do not plant list for our area. They are invasive
exotic introductions and are slowly taking over many native habitats by streams
and in fields. They choke out the native flora, removing the plants which other
native animals need to survive. Hackberry is a native tree. I have one as
well. It's about 50 feet tall and shades the west side of our house.
Unfortunately, it seeds everywhere and immediately send down a rather tough tap
root. I try to pull those immediately in the spring.

It was very difficult to kill the nandina and throw it out, but it's not a good
plant and nurseries and garden centers should discontinue selling it. I
actually saw purple loosestrife at Lowes, yesterday. I had a long discussion
with the manager and she is going to have a discussion with the grower.

Victoria
Old 01-11-2003, 02:42 PM
cat daddy

"animaux" wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 01:23:15 -0600, "cat daddy"

opined:

Shiva H. Vishnu, what's wrong with the wax leaf and the heavenly bamboo?

was going to move the volunteer waxies into where some photinias and

crepes
have been malingering. My nandina was the only thing living other than

the
hackberries when I bought this place.......... {:-/

These plants are both on the do not plant list for our area. They are

invasive
exotic introductions and are slowly taking over many native habitats by

streams
and in fields. They choke out the native flora, removing the plants which

other
native animals need to survive.

Oh, I understand.... Just two more for my list of misperceptions, just
like the red tips that I assumed were native because they were everywhere.
The waxleaf is invasive. I don't even know where they came from.........
and please, no bad comments on Mimosas or I'll have to stick my fingers in
my ears and hum...

Hackberry is a native tree. I have one as
well. It's about 50 feet tall and shades the west side of our house.
Unfortunately, it seeds everywhere and immediately send down a rather

tough tap
root. I try to pull those immediately in the spring.

Hackberries wrecked my house and allowed me to be able to afford to buy
it. They also stunted the pecans, the redbuds and everything else they
outgrew. I like to appreciate them from a distance...... }:-)

Thanks for your reply, as ever.

Old 02-11-2003, 01:33 AM
animaux

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 08:41:15 -0600, "cat daddy" opined:

Oh, I understand.... Just two more for my list of misperceptions, just
like the red tips that I assumed were native because they were everywhere.
The waxleaf is invasive. I don't even know where they came from.........
and please, no bad comments on Mimosas or I'll have to stick my fingers in
my ears and hum...

There is a Texas mimosa which will far outlive any other. They are a pretty
tree. I don't know of many problems with those.

Hackberries wrecked my house and allowed me to be able to afford to buy
it. They also stunted the pecans, the redbuds and everything else they
outgrew. I like to appreciate them from a distance...... }:-)

Thanks for your reply, as ever.

Well, our hackberry is a horrible looking mess! It's not exactly a nice looking
tree. Hey, it shades the house.

Now, are you saying that a hackberry wrecked your house before you bought it,
bringing the price down so you could afford it? I didn't get that reference.

You're welcome, as ever, for my reply!

Victoria

Old 02-11-2003, 03:42 PM
cat daddy

"animaux" wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 08:41:15 -0600, "cat daddy"

opined:

Oh, I understand.... Just two more for my list of misperceptions,

just
like the red tips that I assumed were native because they were

everywhere.
The waxleaf is invasive. I don't even know where they came from.........
and please, no bad comments on Mimosas or I'll have to stick my fingers

in
my ears and hum...

There is a Texas mimosa which will far outlive any other. They are a

pretty
tree. I don't know of many problems with those.

Whew! I've got half a dozen that volunteered in just the right places in
my front yard. I like 'em a lot.

Hackberries wrecked my house and allowed me to be able to afford to

buy
it. They also stunted the pecans, the redbuds and everything else they
outgrew. I like to appreciate them from a distance...... }:-)

Thanks for your reply, as ever.

Well, our hackberry is a horrible looking mess! It's not exactly a nice

looking
tree. Hey, it shades the house.

I kinda like them when they are a gnarled, broken mess as long as they
are far away from any structure or fence that I prefer not be damaged.

Now, are you saying that a hackberry wrecked your house before you bought

it,
bringing the price down so you could afford it? I didn't get that

reference.

Yeah, my house was built in the 20's and was left abandoned after the
owner died in the early 80's. A huge hackberry was allowed to grow *into*
the front corner of the house, and another dropped a limb that crushed the
back kitchen addition. Over seven years, the water damage almost completely
rotted the backside, lowering the value to almost nothing, which allowed me
to buy it on a theatrical technician's income......... }:-)
The front tree was magnificent (a 4.5 x 2.5 stump and 60+ feet tall) and
if it wouldn't have been a hackberry, I would have remodeled around it. It
was cool having a tree trunkcoming through the bedroom wall. I agonized, but
I knew it would crush my house one day. Every hackberry in the vicinity had
done some damage to something.
So, I cut it down a week before the big wind storm of a few years back
that knocked down trees all over town and right before the city's brush
pick-up. It filled up 7 and 1/2 semi-trucks......... This may have
contributed to the restrictions they placed on the program later...
I kept the other tree in back (on the other side of the fence) trimmed so
that if it fell, it would fall into the neighbour's yard. Sure enough, a
storm snapped the trunk off and it went the way I had hoped.
But, I owe that hackberry a debt of gratitude for wrecking my house and
destroying its value so I could afford to buy it. And, the damn thing
sprouted back from the stump with dozens of shoots........... I'll be
keeping my eye on it...... }:-)