Old 03-11-2003, 03:02 AM
Joe Doe

Default Exotic Garlic bulb stock

Anybody know of a local source for less common kinds of garlic like that
available at Filaree Farms or similar suppliers?

I have purchased a few online already but was hoping to find creole
varieties locally.

Roland
Old 03-11-2003, 07:23 PM
Joe Doe

In article ,
wrote:

The Natural Gardener had a few I bought. California Early and Morado Gigante
are two I bought. They are already up and growing. I don't know how exotic
they are. These come from
www.thegarlicstore.com

Thanks, I will try and swing by and see if they still have some.

California early and late are basically grocery store garlic. I plan on
planting some of this because it is very reliable and does well in places
with warm winters.

I do not know much about Morado Gigante.

Some of the best varieties for eating (Rocambole) do not do well in our
area because they need real winters for bulb formation.

I bought the hardneck sampler (Chesnook, Spanish Roja, Siberian, and
Georgian fire) from thegarlicstore.com - unfortunately, they all seem iffy
in our area. I also am expecting a mystery package from Filaree farms
which may or may not contain stuff suitable for our area. So I was hoping
to find reputedly tasty varieties that might do well locally.

Roland
Old 03-11-2003, 08:12 PM
animaux

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:05:20 -0600, (Joe Doe) opined:

In article ,
wrote:

The Natural Gardener had a few I bought. California Early and Morado Gigante
are two I bought. They are already up and growing. I don't know how exotic
they are. These come from
www.thegarlicstore.com

Thanks, I will try and swing by and see if they still have some.

California early and late are basically grocery store garlic. I plan on
planting some of this because it is very reliable and does well in places
with warm winters.

I do not know much about Morado Gigante.

This is what it says on the slip:

A hardneck originating in Chile, its wrappers can sometimes achieve a deep
burgundy hue. Up to eight large, plump cloves from a lovely, symmetrical bulb.
The flavor has been described as "smooth" and "lush", but without searing heat.

Some of the best varieties for eating (Rocambole) do not do well in our
area because they need real winters for bulb formation.

I bought the hardneck sampler (Chesnook, Spanish Roja, Siberian, and
Georgian fire) from thegarlicstore.com - unfortunately, they all seem iffy
in our area. I also am expecting a mystery package from Filaree farms
which may or may not contain stuff suitable for our area. So I was hoping
to find reputedly tasty varieties that might do well locally.

Roland

This is my first year actually planting garlic. I have no idea why I never
planted it before. We love onions and garlic. So, I raise a glass to our first
effort.

Victoria

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
we can supply garlic from stock. freebeme Edible Gardening 0 07-11-2006 08:24 AM
Exotic plants for exotic ponds [email protected] Ponds 2 12-03-2006 12:00 AM
From BULB to SEED and back to BULB JandK23 Lawns 0 29-04-2005 03:06 PM
Exotic Garlic bulb stock Joe Doe Texas 3 13-11-2003 01:13 PM