GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dog resistant sod? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/51546-dog-resistant-sod.html)

Katra 02-02-2004 03:51 PM

Dog resistant sod?

Is there any such thing???

I had a decent patch of english ivy going, and some St. Augustine.
She is a very active border collie and has killed it all. I have bare
dirt where she runs. :-(

Any suggestions?

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby ,,

Brian Anderson 02-02-2004 07:35 PM

Dog resistant sod?

Katra wrote:

I had a decent patch of english ivy going, and some St. Augustine.
She is a very active border collie and has killed it all. I have bare
dirt where she runs. :-(

St. Augustine doesn't hold up AT ALL under doggie paws. I've
seen a little bitty chihuahua turn healthy St. Augustine into
a dirt running track, and a big dog that turned a whole yard
of it into mud.

Many owners lay down some kind of pea gravel, and that's the
best I've got to offer.

Katra 03-02-2004 06:32 AM

Dog resistant sod?

In article ,
Brian Anderson wrote:

Katra wrote:

I had a decent patch of english ivy going, and some St. Augustine.
She is a very active border collie and has killed it all. I have bare
dirt where she runs. :-(

St. Augustine doesn't hold up AT ALL under doggie paws. I've
seen a little bitty chihuahua turn healthy St. Augustine into
a dirt running track, and a big dog that turned a whole yard
of it into mud.

Many owners lay down some kind of pea gravel, and that's the
best I've got to offer.

It's not a bad idea. ;-)
Bordered properly, it'd look nice and I'm sure she would use it.

Thanks!
Katra

B-0b1 03-02-2004 08:46 PM

Dog resistant sod?

FENCE IT! DAd

Katra wrote:

Is there any such thing???

I had a decent patch of english ivy going, and some St. Augustine.
She is a very active border collie and has killed it all. I have bare
dirt where she runs. :-(

Any suggestions?

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby ,,

"Beaten Paths are for Beaten People". -- Anon.

Katra 03-02-2004 08:46 PM

Dog resistant sod?

In article , B-0b1
wrote:

Katra wrote:

Is there any such thing???

I had a decent patch of english ivy going, and some St. Augustine.
She is a very active border collie and has killed it all. I have bare
dirt where she runs. :-(

Any suggestions?

FENCE IT! DAd

"Beaten Paths are for Beaten People". -- Anon.

Yah right. ;-)
We can fence the ivy patch, but that's not gonna help what is left of
the lawn to grow back. G

She would do less damage out back.

B-0b1 04-02-2004 01:38 AM

Dog resistant sod?

see below

Katra wrote:

Is there any such thing???

I had a decent patch of english ivy going, and some St. Augustine.
She is a very active border collie and has killed it all. I have bare
dirt where she runs. :-(

Any suggestions?

,,Cat's Haven Hobby ,,

Katra...erect a low fence with hot wires at the top..it would be in a circle
anyway..Dad

--
"Beaten Paths are for Beaten People". -- Anon.

Katra 04-02-2004 06:34 AM

Dog resistant sod?

In article , B-0b1
wrote:

see below

Katra wrote:

Is there any such thing???

I had a decent patch of english ivy going, and some St. Augustine.
She is a very active border collie and has killed it all. I have bare
dirt where she runs. :-(

Any suggestions?

,,Cat's Haven Hobby ,,

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ude=0&user id
=katra

Katra...erect a low fence with hot wires at the top..it would be in a circle
anyway..Dad

I suppose a hotwire around the fairy garden would not be unattractive...
and with the damage Jewels is doing to the lattice fence, it might be a
good idea!

Will look into it this weekend. She is pretty bright and I hate to do
this to her, but DAMN she is doing a lot of damage! :-(

Tractor Supply has full supplies for hotwires.

Hey, it worked for Terry's Rottweilers. G

K.

RM 06-02-2004 07:09 AM

Dog resistant sod?

I have found that Tiff 419 holds up well to dog traffic. I have a border
collie as well and you can see the trail, but tiff will adjust and grow very
close and dense to the ground. When it is first starting to grow I made
some temporary obsticals that I could put in the dogs run path and make it
go around, giving the grass a chance to take hold and grow.

Katra 06-02-2004 07:27 AM

Dog resistant sod?

In article ,
"RM" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
Is there any such thing???

I had a decent patch of english ivy going, and some St. Augustine.
She is a very active border collie and has killed it all. I have bare
dirt where she runs. :-(

Any suggestions?

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby ,,

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...e=0&user id=k
atra

I have found that Tiff 419 holds up well to dog traffic. I have a border
collie as well and you can see the trail, but tiff will adjust and grow very
close and dense to the ground. When it is first starting to grow I made
some temporary obsticals that I could put in the dogs run path and make it
go around, giving the grass a chance to take hold and grow.

Awesome, thanks, but I've never heard of it!
Where can I get it and does it come in sod or do I have to plant seed?

Thanks!!!

K.