Old 14-03-2004, 12:41 AM
Miles

Default Plant suggestion anyone?

I need somthing to form somewhat of a hedge row along side of my hose.
We had red tip photinias before but I yanked them out for various
reasons.

1. I don't want boxwoods or other similar shrubs...I'm looking for
something with a little color.

2. Sage doesn't really turn me on...too common.

3. I want something with a maximum height of no more than 4 feet.

4. Drought tolerant is preferred.

5. Space gets intense direct early morning to early afternoon sun.

6. MUST be deer-PROOF..."resistant" doesn't seem to do the trick
sometimes.

Suggestions?
Old 14-03-2004, 12:41 AM
Susan G

I'm assuming when you refer to sage you mean purple or silver sage. That
said, a couple of possibilities might include Salvia Greggii (which comes in
many shades of pink, red, coral). Deer won't touch them, and they grow
perhaps 2 feet high. Another possibility might be a landscape grass like
miscanthus. Both of these plants meet all your requirements. If I used the
landscape grass, I might alternate with dwarf crape myrtles for a bit more
color and interest. I'd suggest red yucca, but deer eat the blossoms.

om...

Old 14-03-2004, 12:41 AM
Noman

What about Indian Hawthornes? They can get four feet tall although it may
take years. I don't know how deer resistant they are though.

Old 14-03-2004, 02:45 AM
Red

Nandinas have a bit of color and depending on the year are mostly deer
resistant. If the deer didn't bother the Photinias then they probably
wouldn't bother the Nadinias. Abelia might be another choice, comes in
standard and dwarf sizes. The standard gets 4-5 feet with only an annual
trimming, has a sweet smelling white flower during the warmer parts of the
year, stays evergreen most of the time and the deer only occasionally take a
bite of the new growth. If you plant them close together and prune 1/3 of
the tallest canes out each spring, new growth will fill in at the lower
levels and should give you a solid hedge.

om...

Old 14-03-2004, 03:32 AM
escapee

I'm not sure I understand this logic. If the deer didn't bother the photinia
they won't bother the nandinas? What is this conclusion based on?

Nandina should be against the law in Texas. They are on the DO NOT PLANT list,
put out by the Grow Green Program in Austin. They are an invasive, introduction
which is harming the flora and fauna in the wild, particularly near creeks and
rivers.

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 01:27:46 GMT, "Red" opined:

Nandinas have a bit of color and depending on the year are mostly deer
resistant. If the deer didn't bother the Photinias then they probably
wouldn't bother the Nadinias. Abelia might be another choice, comes in
standard and dwarf sizes. The standard gets 4-5 feet with only an annual
trimming, has a sweet smelling white flower during the warmer parts of the
year, stays evergreen most of the time and the deer only occasionally take a
bite of the new growth. If you plant them close together and prune 1/3 of
the tallest canes out each spring, new growth will fill in at the lower
levels and should give you a solid hedge.

. com...

Old 14-03-2004, 04:42 AM
J Kolenovsky

Here is a partial list of deer-proof plants from the Austin Native Plant
Society of exas website:

http://www.npsot.org/plant_lists/deer_resistant.html

JK
-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

Old 14-03-2004, 07:06 AM
Chuck

Japanese Ligustrums.

"Miles" wrote in message
om...
I need somthing to form somewhat of a hedge row along side of my hose.
We had red tip photinias before but I yanked them out for various
reasons.

1. I don't want boxwoods or other similar shrubs...I'm looking for
something with a little color.

2. Sage doesn't really turn me on...too common.

3. I want something with a maximum height of no more than 4 feet.

4. Drought tolerant is preferred.

5. Space gets intense direct early morning to early afternoon sun.

6. MUST be deer-PROOF..."resistant" doesn't seem to do the trick
sometimes.

Suggestions?

Plant suggestion anyone? No Indian Hawtgirnes Bob Texas 0 14-03-2004 02:13 PM
Plant suggestion anyone? No Indian Hawtgirnes Bob Texas 0 14-03-2004 02:09 PM
Plant suggestion anyone? Miles Texas 2 14-03-2004 12:40 AM
Plant suggestion anyone? Miles Texas 2 14-03-2004 12:39 AM
plant suggestion Audrey Australia 8 30-08-2003 12:42 PM