Old 28-03-2004, 02:47 AM
GeneS

Default Red-tipped photinia question

I "tried" to grow some & it all died - no kidding.

"jac" wrote in message ...
I've planted Kudzu and am looking forward to the full coverage it

provides.I'm
putting up some lines(cables) for it to spread and make an shade arbor

over a
large area by the pool. I'm well aware of it's proclivity for growth...

other
than that, what's the problem with Kudzu?
jac

"N. Woolley" wrote:

Photinia is a non-native invasive species just as bad as Kudzu. Thank
heavens the red-tipped variety gets disease. The Chinese variety doesn't
and is a huge problem in areas that are trying to maintain native

habitat.

Ligustrum and Nandina are also in the same category.

Find something else to plant.... Evergreen Sumac or Texas Mountain
Laurel maybe?? The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is having their
spring plant sale soon.

-Nancy

Old 28-03-2004, 04:35 PM
escapee

The problem is not the plant, it's the people who plant it. It's a horrible
thing to introduce that to this area.

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 15:36:49 GMT, jac opined:

Old 28-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Katra

Ever driven thru Kentucky or Tennesee???
Miles and miles of Kudzu...

That's the one thing that has stopped me from planting it! Horribly
invasive. You are likely to live to regret having planted it.

Want full coverage with little water use? Do what I did and plant the
local wild muscadine grape! At least it's a local plant and good for
xeriscaping, and the chickens like the grapes if I don't want to make
jelly or wine out of them. ;-)

I finally have my green privacy fences and it only took 3 years. Those
vines get huge fast, especially if you DO water them.

Honeysuckle is also good, as is oriental jasmine, or even english ivy.
Ivy is good for shaded areas and in fact, seems to do better for me in
the shade. Won't stand up to dog trampling tho' ;-( As much as I adore
my BC, I'm almost beginning to regret adopting her. sigh Almost. She
is such a wonderful pet that I forgive her the plant destruction.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov