Old 26-03-2004, 03:38 PM
Brian Anderson

Default Red-tipped photinia question

I had two of these side-by-side in my back yard, both about 15
feet tall. A couple years ago one turned brown and died, and
I replaced it with a baby, which is now about 4 feet tall.

Today the little one looks great, but two branches died from
the base up on the big one. I cut those branches off, and
some new red growth appeared. Not a lot, but some. But the
plant in general looks bad. The leaves, while still green,
are drooping as though the tree hasn't been getting enough
water (which is obviously not the case).

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks.

Old 27-03-2004, 04:11 AM
escapee

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:29:00 -0600, Brian Anderson
opined:

I had two of these side-by-side in my back yard, both about 15
feet tall. A couple years ago one turned brown and died, and
I replaced it with a baby, which is now about 4 feet tall.

Today the little one looks great, but two branches died from
the base up on the big one. I cut those branches off, and
some new red growth appeared. Not a lot, but some. But the
plant in general looks bad. The leaves, while still green,
are drooping as though the tree hasn't been getting enough
water (which is obviously not the case).

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks.

Yes, there is a problem in the soil which is causing leaf spot, leaf drop, and
other annoyances with Photinia fraserii. I would not recommend using that
plant, it is not a good plant to use with all the problems it has.
Old 27-03-2004, 02:32 PM
N. Woolley

Photinia is a non-native invasive species just as bad as Kudzu. Thank
heavens the red-tipped variety gets disease. The Chinese variety doesn't
and is a huge problem in areas that are trying to maintain native habitat.

Ligustrum and Nandina are also in the same category.

Find something else to plant.... Evergreen Sumac or Texas Mountain
Laurel maybe?? The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is having their
spring plant sale soon.

-Nancy

Old 27-03-2004, 04:16 PM
jac

I've planted Kudzu and am looking forward to the full coverage it provides.I'm
putting up some lines(cables) for it to spread and make an shade arbor over a
large area by the pool. I'm well aware of it's proclivity for growth... other
than that, what's the problem with Kudzu?
jac

Old 27-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Chuck

You're insane and must be stopped!
Do not do it! Kudzu destroys the local eco-system you idiot.

Old 27-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Gary Brady

I'm well aware of it's proclivity for growth... other
than that, what's the problem with Kudzu?

Jac, I'm no expert on Kudzu, but in wetter climates, such as East Texas and
Louisiana, its rampant growth takes over everything in its path. Wisteria is
also considered a plague worse than locusts in those areas, but it's easily
controlled and makes a nice plant around Austin. In Louisiana, wisteria could
literally strangle a pine tree, while Kudzu would cover the tree and deprive it
of sunlight.
Gary Brady
Austin, TX