Old 30-03-2004, 05:43 AM
Ron M.

Default NEED FIREWOOD for fireplace, meat smoker - will cut/haul

I don't know if I'm double-posting this or not, my computer's acting
strange tonight... (-;

I need some wood, for burning in the fireplace next winter, and for my
meat smoker. Oak, mesquite, or pecan would be fine, I'm not picky. I
have my own chain saw, truck, etc. and can cut and haul it off myself.
It'd be nice if it's been dead for a year or two, but if it's still
green, that's OK, it'll be dried enough to burn next fall.

Buying wood commercially (for either the fireplace or for cooking) is
insanely expensive, so I'm hoping somebody out there will have a tree
or two they'd like cut up and hauled off, expecially mesquite, which
many landowners see as an annoying pest. Please get in touch.

Ron M.
Old 30-03-2004, 08:12 AM
Katra

In article ,
(Ron M.) wrote:

I don't know if I'm double-posting this or not, my computer's acting
strange tonight... (-;

I need some wood, for burning in the fireplace next winter, and for my
meat smoker. Oak, mesquite, or pecan would be fine, I'm not picky. I
have my own chain saw, truck, etc. and can cut and haul it off myself.
It'd be nice if it's been dead for a year or two, but if it's still
green, that's OK, it'll be dried enough to burn next fall.

Buying wood commercially (for either the fireplace or for cooking) is
insanely expensive, so I'm hoping somebody out there will have a tree
or two they'd like cut up and hauled off, expecially mesquite, which
many landowners see as an annoying pest. Please get in touch.

Ron M.

I just took down a china berry tree. I kept the larger logs, but there
is a huge brush pile with some decent sized wood that still needs to be
hauled off, and I have more large limb pruning that needs to be done on
hackberry, elm, cedar and maybe some mesquite. I'm un-shading the back
yard in preparation for putting up two small greenhouses.

Come and get it in San Marcos. ;-) I'll provide the ladder, and the beer!

Preferably this weekend. It needs to be done asap...

K. Phone number provided with e-mail.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

Old 30-03-2004, 09:02 AM
Mapanari

Katra spake as minus onenews:KatraMungBean-
:

In article ,
(Ron M.) wrote:

[...]

You realize every decent sized tree well placed on your landscape of your
house adds between min $1,000 to max $15,000 to the value of your home?

A house with no trees is a sordid shit box, owned by lazy assholes with no
class, people who probably didn't take care of the house and people who
would lie to you about pre-existing conditions.

When you see an ad here for a house and pictures and they say they've been
in the house for 7 years and there are no plants or trees, don't buy that
house; you'll regret it.
Good caring people plant, do yards etc. If they do that, they paint, fix
things and keep up on maintence. It's a class thing.
A house with no trees is like buying a dirty car with back seat full of
empty McDonalds wrappers...you just know they have no class and havne't
changed the oil ever.

Do you have class?
I hope you have plenty of trees and are not cutting down most of them.

-- mapi

Old 30-03-2004, 10:04 AM
Katra

(Ron M.) wrote:

[...]

Honey, I only took down one tree... and that is all I plan to take down.

It's taken me two years to finally make myself take down that chinaberry
tree. It was right smack dab in the middle of the yard and I could no
longer grow any decent veggies with it there. It should have been taken
out when it was still brush. sigh I felt bad about killing it, but it
also made a mess... Thousands of little chinaberry sprouts as weeds in
the gardens ever year. It was a PITA. But it was MY pita and it's been
there for over 10 years. sigh

Please note that I said the other trees only need some real PRUNING!!!

A house with no trees is a sordid shit box, owned by lazy assholes with no
class, people who probably didn't take care of the house and people who
would lie to you about pre-existing conditions.

A house with no trees is a ********. I have many trees in the yard, and
the others are only getting PRUNED! I did not say I was going to take
the other trees down. ;-) Just remove some branches from select areas,
especially the ones that are hitting my neighbors roof before they sue
me for house damage!

I love and value my many beloved trees... I need to prune some branches
in specific locations to allow more sunlight to two areas of the yard.
That's it.

When you see an ad here for a house and pictures and they say they've been
in the house for 7 years and there are no plants or trees, don't buy that
house; you'll regret it.
Good caring people plant, do yards etc. If they do that, they paint, fix
things and keep up on maintence. It's a class thing.
A house with no trees is like buying a dirty car with back seat full of
empty McDonalds wrappers...you just know they have no class and havne't
changed the oil ever.

Do you have class?
I hope you have plenty of trees and are not cutting down most of them.

-- mapi

I only cut one, and intend to cut no more... Only the back yard is used
for gardening. The entire front yard is shaded by beautiful trees, and
I've encouraged an additional baby Hackberry in the driveway that is
growing up big and beatiful now! It started from a seed and is now about
10" across at the trunk and beginning to provide some decent shade for
the cars. :-)

Like I said, it took me a couple of years to psych myself into removing
that tree. I don't take it lightly, but my yard needed some sunlight.
Really.

Katra

Old 30-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Tyler Hopper

"Ron M." wrote in message
om...
I don't know if I'm double-posting this or not, my computer's acting
strange tonight... (-;

I need some wood, for burning in the fireplace next winter, and for my
meat smoker. Oak, mesquite, or pecan would be fine, I'm not picky. I
have my own chain saw, truck, etc. and can cut and haul it off myself.
It'd be nice if it's been dead for a year or two, but if it's still
green, that's OK, it'll be dried enough to burn next fall.

Buying wood commercially (for either the fireplace or for cooking) is
insanely expensive, so I'm hoping somebody out there will have a tree
or two they'd like cut up and hauled off, expecially mesquite, which
many landowners see as an annoying pest. Please get in touch.

Ron M.

There's a couple of wood yards down this way (S.A.) who sell what I call "ugly
wood" for $40 per pickup load. It's the smaller splits that won't sell as
fireplace wood. A very good deal for smoking wood and burns just fine in a
fireplace too.

Tyler

Old 30-03-2004, 11:36 PM
REServices03

Hey Ron!

I am in the process of removing a dead tree from my yard. I cant
afford to pay someone so I've been slowly taking it down. You are
more than welcome to come take a whack out of it, and take as much as
you like. Unfortunately - I have no idea what type of tree it is -
but it's definitely dead! As I take it down, people steal the wood
from my front yard, so they must be using it for firewood - it makes
for easy disposal for me. If your interested, email me at
. I will give you my address and you can
chop as much or as little that you want. That will help me and you!
Let me know! Thanks!

(Ron M.) wrote in message . com...
Katra wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Ron M.) wrote:

[...]

I'll keep it on the shelf. I'm not really set up for hauling off "huge
brush piles." Not sure what'll happen this weekend: we're back to a
40%-50% chance of rain (again!!!) Saturday and Sunday, for one thing,
and I'm not too keen on climbing up in a ladder with a chain saw in
the rain... (-;

Seeya,
Ron M.

Old 30-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Mapanari

Katra spake as minus
:

I only cut one, and intend to cut no more... Only the back yard is used
for gardening. The entire front yard is shaded by beautiful trees, and
I've encouraged an additional baby Hackberry in the driveway that is
growing up big and beatiful now! It started from a seed and is now about
10" across at the trunk and beginning to provide some decent shade for
the cars. :-)

Like I said, it took me a couple of years to psych myself into removing
that tree. I don't take it lightly, but my yard needed some sunlight.
Really.

Katra

Glad to hear it.

I myself like Arizona ash; they grow fast, are very drought tolerant and
look sort of like oak trees.

I actually go around my neighborhood and stealth plant trees. The trick is
to put a brick right at the base of it set into the dirt so a mower or
bicyclist will see it and avoid it; most people being too lazy will not
pick up one brick but just avoid it. They call me Mapanari Appleseed
around here.

I look at those prairie shit boxes built 1999-2003 with no trees and you
can spit into your nieghbor's kitchen from yours, and shudder.
I'd rather live on a big lot with with fewer bedrooms (heavily
soundproofed) than those two story shitboxes on tiny lots, for the same
price.

Lots of other people feel the same way, foreclosures rates are at a high
and most of them are those prairie shitboxes. No trees, no neighborhood,
assholes for neighbors, no privacy, no quality, no community, you have
nothing invested and so it makes sense to just walk away from those badly
made pieces of shit.

--
---Mapanari---

Old 01-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Joe Doe

In article , Mapanari
wrote:

Glad to hear it.

I myself like Arizona ash; they grow fast, are very drought tolerant and
look sort of like oak trees.

I actually go around my neighborhood and stealth plant trees. The trick is
to put a brick right at the base of it set into the dirt so a mower or
bicyclist will see it and avoid it; most people being too lazy will not
pick up one brick but just avoid it. They call me Mapanari Appleseed
around here.

--
---Mapanari---

Interesting, that a person who judges houses without trees so harshly,
chooses a junk tree as a "favorite tree".

The Arizona ash is universally considered as short lived, weak wooded,
disease prone poor choice.

Howard Garrett in plants for Texas says: "Do not plant!!!! Fast growing
junk tree. Brittle wood, yellow fall color smooth bark. Grows in any
soil, heavy water and light fertilization needs. Uses: fast growing
temporary shade tree. Problems: borers, aphids, brittle wood,
short-lived, destructive roots."

Dale Groom in the Texas Gardening Guide says: "When shopping for Texas
ash be sure you are not persuaded to purchase Arizona Ash trees instead.
Don't plant Arizona ash even if someone gave you one!"

Neil Sperry echoes this point.

TAMU echoes this point see:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...s/arizash.html

Roland

P.S. The Texas Ash is a better choice if you want an Ash as are many
other trees, but of course high class types such as yourself have their
property values enhanced by thousands of dollars by gems such as the
Arizona Ash.