GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   black gooey growth in lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/58990-black-gooey-growth-lawn.html)

bb 16-04-2004 03:33 AM

black gooey growth in lawn

After a nice soaking rain a black semi translucent gelatenous "growth"
appears amongst my St. Augustine under the shade of a tree.

This is a sticky substance and does not appear in the non-shaded areas. It
is also only found in this one section. I think it is a living thing but
won't make that leap just yet.

Anybody know? I'm very curious and am not confident that my "slime mold"
explanation to the kids is correct after viewing some www sites on the
subject. Bonus to anyone who can point me to any sites with information.

Thanks,

-Robert

Elizabeth 16-04-2004 01:34 PM

black gooey growth in lawn

" bb" wrote in message
After a nice soaking rain a black semi translucent gelatenous "growth"
appears amongst my St. Augustine under the shade of a tree.

This is a sticky substance and does not appear in the non-shaded areas. It
is also only found in this one section. I think it is a living thing but
won't make that leap just yet.

Anybody know? I'm very curious and am not confident that my "slime mold"
explanation to the kids is correct after viewing some www sites on the
subject. Bonus to anyone who can point me to any sites with information.

Thanks,

-Robert

Heh...sounds like the plot for a new "B" movie. "Return of the Return of
the Son of the Blob".