Old 22-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Cindie Light

Default rose bush problems

I am trying my black thumb at roses this year. I have one shrub type
rose ( I was not bright enough to actually look and write down the
KIND of rose I got it was pretty so I got it...duh!) But I also
planted 3 minature roses at the same time in the same place. I put all
of them in a raised bed...added good neutral soil with a granite sandy
mixture so it drains well and mulched around it with cedar mulch. The
minatures are doing very well almost the height of the shrub! but the
shrub has new growth leaves and buds..yet they are droopy. It has some
purple dots very few on a few of the leaves but not the new
leaves...some yellowing or mottling on a few leaves. Any suggestions??
I have put some rose fertilizer around it and have sprayed some
fungicide incase this is the beginning of black spot. It may be
getting too much water as Im watering it well every other day...need
advice on central texas rose gardening..

thanks for the input!!
C.
Old 22-04-2004, 06:05 PM
grubber

"Cindie Light" wrote in message
om...
[...]

When did you plant it and how much sun does it get?

Old 23-04-2004, 09:03 AM
RoyDMercer

[...]

Since the rose bushes you planted near the shrub are doing well, I'll assume
it is getting enough sun. Evening shade is OK, but generally rose bushes
need full sun.

One thing about rose bushes is they are very forgiving. More than likely if
you are patient it will eventually recover. My guess is the rose bush is
probably having a tough time getting used to the new soil. The best (and
usually cheapest) way to buy rose bushes is to order bare root bushes from
mail order places like Jackson & Perkins in the winter. They mail them to
you at the correct time to plant them. By doing it this way, the rose
bushes usually do well the first year. When you buy a rose bush in a pot
that is already flowering, quite often when you transplant them in the
ground they don't do so well the first year due to transplant shock.

Make sure you didn't bury the graft which is the bulge at the base of the
plant. If you do the top part of the rose bush will eventually die and the
roots will start sending out new canes which is the wild rose variety in
which the rose bush you bought was grafted upon. Miniture roses do not have
grafts and grow on their own roots.

Old 23-04-2004, 03:06 PM
escapee

It sounds like blackspot. However, I should warn you, roses are not for black
thumbs! They are very fussy, require maintenance and need to heavily fertilized
in order to product UNLESS you bought antique roses, then you may have good
success. The mini's are usually on their own rootstock and perform very well,
but please be certain you have problems before you start spraying pesticides.

Herbicides are very dangerous chemicals, unless you used Neem Oil, then it's a
lot less toxic.

On 22 Apr 2004 08:23:53 -0700, (Cindie Light) opined:

Old 23-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Grubber

"escapee" wrote in message
news
It sounds like blackspot. However, I should warn you, roses are not for
black
thumbs! They are very fussy, require maintenance and need to heavily

fertilized
in order to product UNLESS you bought antique roses, then you may have

good
success. The mini's are usually on their own rootstock and perform very

well,
but please be certain you have problems before you start spraying

pesticides.

Herbicides are very dangerous chemicals, unless you used Neem Oil, then

it's a
lot less toxic.

I think your general assessment is too pessimistic. I have about 25
different roses that are hardly pampered, and they are mostly in glorious
bloom right now. I have probably planted ten others that croaked in the
first year, but my approach is a survival of the fittest method. If they
can't survive without pampering, I don't want them. They are all planted in
slightly improved soil with lots of sun and given a good layer of mulch.
They are watered in the heat of the summer. I fertilize sometimes, but not
every year. I deadhead, but only prune the roses when they get too big.

That said, I agree that own root antique roses will do much better in the
long run. I have a grafted yellow rose that I got from Home Depot for $10 a
few years ago that is amazing, and a grafted Marilyn Monroe from It's a
Jungle that is impressive for just having been planted in the fall, but I've
had lots of grafted roses that looked healthy for months and then croaked.
Many of the own root antiques look kind of weak for a couple of years, but
then they come on with a vengeance. I have a Buff Beauty that easily has a
thousand roses on it right now, although it only has a few roses the rest of
the year.

Few of these are show quality roses, and there is some blackspot, but it's
enough of a show that people stop and get out of their cars to look.

Old 23-04-2004, 04:10 PM
RoyDMercer

"Grubber" wrote in message
nk.net...
"escapee" wrote in message
news
[...]

I would agree completely. I've had dozens of rose bushes over the years and
I've only lost one. The only type I've ever had were those that were
grafted. I don't pamper them either. I plant them in the native soil and
they either live or they don't. All I've ever done is fertilize them three
times per year, prune them back when they get overgrown, and keep them
watered until they get established. Occassionally I will hit them with
fungicide or pesticide if they start getting overrun. Blackspot is
something you have to get used to unless you want to spray fungicide often,
but I've never had it kill a rosebush.

I don't really treat my rosebushes any different from any other flowering
shrub that I have. The only ones I've really had to mess with much are
climbing roses which require frequent training. Aggressive pruning and
deadheading will help tremendously with blooming.

Old 24-04-2004, 06:06 AM
Cindie Light

Hi grubber... I planted it about 3 weeks ago it gets sun from about
9:30 to sun down.
Old 24-04-2004, 06:06 AM
Cindie Light

hmmm thank you Roy ... could you pass on the websites that are worthy
in the mail order business. I definitely have fallen in love with
roses and would like to plan a rose garden maybe next spring. I will
take this advice and order bare roots in the winter! Thanks again!
Old 24-04-2004, 05:05 PM
RoyDMercer

"Cindie Light" wrote in message
m...
hmmm thank you Roy ... could you pass on the websites that are worthy
in the mail order business. I definitely have fallen in love with
roses and would like to plan a rose garden maybe next spring. I will
take this advice and order bare roots in the winter! Thanks again!

Bare root roses are definitely the best way to go. The great thing is they
take off and start doing well the very first year you plant them. The only
place I've ever dealt with for bare root roses is Jackson & Perkins:
http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/

If you call them, they will send you a catalog. They seem to have gotten a
bit pricey in the last few years, but their products are top notch.

I've always had good luck with planting bare root roses. My favorite ones
are Peace, Mr. Lincoln, Blaze, Portrait, and Paul's Scarlet.

Old 24-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Grubber

"Cindie Light" wrote in message
m...
Hi grubber... I planted it about 3 weeks ago it gets sun from about
9:30 to sun down.

The sun is great. After three weeks in the ground, the roots probably
aren't established very well, but they may be rotting from too much water.
For future roses, plant in the fall, not the spring. The roots can get
established while the main plant is under less stress.

I would do one of three things

1) Trim back the branches to about 1/3 of the current leaves so you've got a
better root/leaf ratio.
2) Dig it up, pot it and pamper it until fall, then plant it in soil
or 3) leave it and buy a healthier rose if it dies.

Locally, It's A Jungle on Kramer is by far the best place. Go, even if you
aren't buying. It will feed your rose bug. The owners know their stuff and
are very helpful.

The Antique Rose Emporium is online www.antiqueroseemporium.com and has the
best selection of Texas grown own root roses. They also have a retail
outfit in San Antonio that I haven't been to - yet. The website seems to be
down at the moment.

Vintagegardens.com has an amazing selection and their site is very
informative, but their roses are small rooted cuttings oriented more towards
experienced rose growers.

Old 26-04-2004, 02:05 AM
Cindie Light

You Guys are awesome! Thank you so much for your kind input...! I will
definitely put these tips into practice