Old 25-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Steven@roadrunner

Default Need Recommendations for Rain water collection rain gutter installer

I received a notice that my water rate will increase almost 50% this year.

I want to install a rain water collection system is phases.

First the gutters then the collection barrels.

Any suggestions for someone who does this type work will be greatly
appreciated.

thanks
Steven

Old 25-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Rusty Mase

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:54:26 GMT, "Steven@roadrunner"
wrote:

I want to install a rain water collection system is phases.

Steven, there is a 1997 pamphlet compiled by the Texas Water
Development Board titled "Texas Guide to Rainwater Harvesting" that
offers some nice design tips. It might help in planning your system.

Rusty Mase
Old 26-04-2004, 02:09 AM
RoyDMercer

"Steven@roadrunner" wrote in message
I received a notice that my water rate will increase almost 50% this year.

I want to install a rain water collection system is phases.

First the gutters then the collection barrels.

Any suggestions for someone who does this type work will be greatly
appreciated.

When I lived in Tulsa we had a remote site in which we wanted to plant some
trees. The site had no running water and we wanted a water source to get
the trees established. We went and bought a plastic 55 gal barrel (about
$35) and placed it under one of the rain gutters. We found it took only a
small amount of rainfall to fill the barrel up.

We used a small electric pump and a garden hose to transfer the water
around.

Old 26-04-2004, 03:05 AM
Joe Doe

In article , "Steven@roadrunner"
wrote:

I received a notice that my water rate will increase almost 50% this year.

I want to install a rain water collection system is phases.

First the gutters then the collection barrels.

Any suggestions for someone who does this type work will be greatly
appreciated.

thanks
Steven

The city has a rebate program for rainwater harvesting. They also host an
annual tour of houses using water wise techniques. I went for one a few
years back and it was fun.

The next tour seems to have a broader focus but you can find info at:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/watercon/coolhouse.htm

and

http://www.txses.org/coolhousetour/c..._brochure.html

The first link also has info on all the city rainwater programs.

This used to be free but they seem to want $6 now. I think it would be
worth it. Speaking to some of the owners will give you the best insight.
You will also gain an insight into how realistic this might be. Many of
the houses I saw used pretty immense tanks which take up a lot of real
estate. If you have a lot space this may not be an issue. For small
urban lots ?

Roland
Old 26-04-2004, 05:10 AM
Red

If you do the math you will see that collecting rain water is a myth. I
don't care how much you collect, unless you have a 5000 gallon tank, you
are better off paying the bill. It may make you feel good and give the bugs
a place to breed but it is not economical.

Old 26-04-2004, 06:04 AM
RoyDMercer

If you're talking about setting up some type of elaborate system, then
you're right. However putting a couple of rain barrels under your gutters
is a good deal. The city of Austin will pay you back $30 on the cost of a
rain barrel (up to 4) which is almost all of the cost. Every time it rains,
you're going to get over 100 gals with two barrels. Even if you only save
50 cents each rainfall, it wouldn't take you long to recoup your costs.
Many people make compost tea to water their garden with and need 55 gals of
water to do it anyway. Why not get it for free from the roof rather than
paying at the fawcett.

Old 26-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Steven@roadrunner

Thanks for all the information and suggestions.
This is a great newsgroup.

Old 27-04-2004, 02:08 PM
J Kolenovsky

Steven, here is that link to the Texas Water Development Board. You have
high-speed Internet so you'll really enjoy it.

http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/home/index.asp

Down in Houston, where we get a lot of rain, we are looking at "Rain
Gardens", "Naturscaping" floodwater detention ponds,
http://www.bayoupreservation.org/naturescape/home.html, and rainwater
harvesting. Shoot, the folks out in west Texas and the Aussies have been
doing this for years. Billy Kniffen over in Menard is the County
Extension Agent and he is very helpful in helping people get with the
harvesting program.

I am pumped. I am a naturalistic, native landscaper and discovered the
benifits of bog gardens ("rain gardens") while doing that type of work.
I live in Bellaire and I have gotten the city interested in these. Last
night, the City Council reviewed its Flood Hazard Mitigation Program and
"Rain Gardens" are inculuded in the proposal.

http://www.ecoisp.com/resources16.asp
http://www.raingardennetwork.com/
http://www.mninter.net/~stack/rain/
http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/mc...enman/rain.htm
http://www.raingardens.org/Index.php
http://www.consciouschoice.com/envir...rdens1405.html
http://www.swjournal.com/articles/20...3_home_and_ga=
rden_guide/hmgrdn05.txt
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/wm/nps/rg/
http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/news...402/01/a10.asp

I heard if one took all of the water on the earth that iw ould be one
gallon and all the fresh water on the earth would be 1 teaspoon. Yes
sir, we need to keep that fresh water out of the storm sewer amd on the
land.

JK

"Steven@roadrunner" wrote:
=

I received a notice that my water rate will increase almost 50% this ye=

ar.
=

I want to install a rain water collection system is phases.
=

First the gutters then the collection barrels.
=

Any suggestions for someone who does this type work will be greatly
appreciated.
=

thanks
Steven

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business. Quoted by the Ho=
uston
Chronicle Lazy Gardener as 1 of 7 best gardening websites in Houston.
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 08-05-2004, 05:04 AM
Steve Ravet

Forget those overpriced taxpayer subsidized city of austin barrels. You
can get a used 55 gallon plastic drum from the Coke bottling plant on
Burnett just north of 183 for $5. It'll have a little Coke syrup in the
bottom but you can rinse that out. They're listed in the yellow pages
under "bottling". Call and ask for Emery and he'll hook you up.

I'm building a 1600 gallon (30 barrel) system right now and it's turning
out great. Got 10 barrels in and full up, 10 more barrels ready to go.
The house is pier and beam so the barrels go underneath where you can't
see them. Each barrel has 2 3/4" pipe thread fittings. You can set one
on a cinder block under the downspout, connect a valve and soaker hose
to it, and have a bed that is automatically watered all the time.

--steve